A Typing of the Dead-esque weapon

Author Topic: A Typing of the Dead-esque weapon  (Read 4533 times)

For those who don't know, Typing of the Dead is a game where you shoot zombies by typing in words or phrases that appear on the screen

And i've been working on a weapon model inspired by the game, however, i'm no scripter

Is it possible to have the weapon spell out a word like 'Blockhead!' (10 damage per character) in a bottom print with each shot that hits a player, and would it also be possible to have the spelling progress change between targets? Like Target A's been hit 3 times, so that means there's only 'Blo' spelled out, while Target B has been hit 7 times which spells only out 'Blockhe'?

I think you can do some kind of 'get player health' shenanigan to see what player has what spelled out on them depending on their health, so like, 10 health means that the player has 'Blockhead' spelled out on them and the '!' would be the killing blow

This needs to be a thing
I love that model too

It will require a client mod to work.

It will require a client mod to work.
What kind of a client mod?

when kompressor asks someone to do something, it better be done

What kind of a client mod?
Just one to send the hit keys to the server.

I hope this will be a multiplayer game. What's the plan for displaying everyone's words to each other?

Every time I go to the game room at any convention there's always a Typing of the Dead set up and nobody's using it. I sit there for like an hour and people are like "why is this and why is it awesome."
I would kill for this.

Just one to send the hit keys to the server.
If Kompressor's guitar is any indication, that shouldn't be necessary.

If Kompressor's guitar is any indication, that shouldn't be necessary.
He uses already key bound functions to make the guitar play. ` through = iirc, and all of those are by default key bound and just packages the functions. There's no way for the server to figure out what you're typing currently without a client add-on.

He uses already key bound functions to make the guitar play. ` through = iirc, and all of those are by default key bound and just packages the functions. There's no way for the server to figure out what you're typing currently without a client add-on.
I was thinking that you just fire the weapon with the left mouse button and the word's automatically spelled out one by one as long as your shots hit a player, and then the letters show up on your screen via bottom print and what letters are there depend on how hurt that player is and the weapon would use some sort of player health getting script to figure out what letters a player has, sounds simple enough

I don't know if it's possible to make it more like Typing of the Dead, but that'd be great if it is, and it might be better than my idea if it works out

If someone can make it cycle between eight blockland-related words, that'd be even better for variety.

Example Wordlist
  • Hammer
  • Blockhead
  • Add-On
  • Horse
  • Brick
  • Wrench
  • Jeep
  • Printer

If someone can make it cycle between eight blockland-related words, that'd be even better for variety.

Example Wordlist
  • Hammer
  • Blockhead
  • Add-On
  • Horse
  • Brick
  • Wrench
  • Jeep
  • Printer
it'll need way more than eight I think. I like the one's from the actual game lol, like "ambition"

/supportalltheway

I loved that game so much