Author Topic: I really like looking at pictures that remind me how big everything is  (Read 2792 times)

like, this picture, for example

that's what we can see of our galaxy from the surface of our planet. and we know almost nothing about it. like, that's just our galaxy. and we only really know of, like, a couple thousand planets in it. but there's at least 8 billion, apparently? and that's just counting possibly habitable ones. 2000 is only 0.0025% of 8 billion. that is so much. that is an absurd amount of planets. can you believe there are so many? and we only know of a few. and that's still just our galaxy

that picture is nothing compared to the hubble deep field

more specifically, that image is the hubble ultra-deep field
everything in that image is an entire galaxy. even the tiniest little dots. if you don't already know how absolutely incredible the hubble deep field is, watch this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAVjF_7ensg

and it still gets even deeper than that

it's kinda depressing, sometimes, to think about how little I'll ever know about any of those galaxies, or even about any of the stars you can see in the first picture

we're only getting smaller. :(

it's the majesty of God's creation :)

when I look out there into those stars, I see how good my God is, and how awesome and creative he is. It just makes me want to worship him even more!

On that note, tonight is my church's Youth Fellowship out at the beach; we're going stargazing with high-powered telescopes. I'm really excited!

it's the majesty of God's creation :)

when I look out there into those stars, I see how good my God is, and how awesome and creative he is. It just makes me want to worship him even more!

On that note, tonight is my church's Youth Fellowship out at the beach; we're going stargazing with high-powered telescopes. I'm really excited!
jesus

and to think some people don't believe in aliens

aliens created god, just sayin

when looking at pictures of soviet rockets i saw a portrait of one it had like the trail of it going into space and doing an orbital turn high up and that gave me a feel for how small the earth is

can't find it but found something similiar
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 09:11:33 AM by Maxwell. »

This is a pretty cool website if you guys like this stuff (:
http://htwins.net/scale2/

seeing all of those planets makes me thinks of all the resources we could gather and land to exploit.....

oh do I wish we'd all focus more on space travel

It's so massive, and we haven't even explored the entirety of earth yet.

It makes my willy seem small.

I just think that it's really cool that we can look up into the sky and see stars so far away

oh do I wish we'd all focus more on space travel
we havent even managed to fully explore our planet
let alone the whole universe

I feel you, bro
I've always liked learning about space and the like, it's so beautiful in the way we're small, insignificant beings buzzing around a universe much larger than ourselves, trying to piece together the story of how we got here

Related: The Blue Marble is a picture of Earth taken from orbit, and it is so incredible that the planet contains all 7 billion people

Everyone that has lived and is currently living* exists on this small, blue planet

*Minus the ~6 people currently aboard the ISS

yes, this reminds me of my favorite picture of all time: earthrise

it contains a picture of every single human being to ever have lived in one picture minus the person taking the photo and another astronaut not in frame