Zix's Randomizer DM! [BACK UP!]

Author Topic: Zix's Randomizer DM! [BACK UP!]  (Read 34281 times)

So i wanted to make my own map for randomizer but i suck ass at building so i made a little map if anyone wants to use the idea anyways
I was thinking from South > North the map would go on a hill and the top would be on like a cliff but yeah

ignore that yellow box

The only issue I have with the current map is the spawn locations. Whenever I spawn out in the open, there is a high chance that a quickshot guy from elsewhere will get me from any direction within three seconds.

new map sucks

like, it's a nice build, but I just don't like it for this server

RIP this servers appeal to me. Oh well.

the routes and vertical scale of the new map add to the replayability

i mean its not the tank turret warehouse standoff sort of map (which actually fit really well)

but this swap out has a great quake styled run down of gameplay
its fresh, but the original map just has its place as a classic and should be hosted alongside this 1

Server crashed for a bit.

EDIT: Oh crap, it's happened again.

EDIT 2: Died again.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 11:23:44 PM by WaterOre »

well that was amazing and hysterical. the server straight-up crashed under what seems to have been 'there are too many players all shooting eachother oh jeez oh no' stress

here's what i got out of that first test run

1: randomizer players are actually really into the original map specifically because it's easily camped and rounds are slow and grueling, and it actually would probably make perfect sense to make a new deliberately-bullstuff randomizer map and possibly split the server into two parts (call one Fast randomizer- that'd be this one, the chaotic and smash brosy clusterforget- and one Slow randomizer, which is the one that existed previously)

2: people are either baffled by the concept of or are very much not used to the idea of everyone getting into a big fight the instant the game gives you control, and are even less accustomed to the concept of examining the environment before the match begins in order to figure out where bullets are likely to come from

i'm talkin with wrapper about ways to help mitigate this and the first thing that comes to mind is simply making it so that at the very beginning of the round- during the countdown, out of the 5 seconds before the round starts proper- you're given 3 seconds to get into position with a very fast playertype before stuff starts flying around and ideally you would place yourself where you don't immediately get shot

this might lead to interesting conflicts where a bunch of people who spawn near a key all try to beeline to the key immediately but then when the round starts and they begin fighting they're all mushed up against eachother and they instantly devolve into a big cartoon fight cloud

except i guess with rockets

3: this map is probably best suited from anywhere between 16 to 24 people, and 32 people makes it even more of a clusterforget then it should be in the first place

4: the server can literally not handle the amount of bullets that are put out the instant the map begins

that's the goofiest stuff in the world to me that's the best i can't believe it

I like the new map, reminds me of the default source engine hammer editor textures.

Shields actually caused the crash.

except i guess with rockets

theres rockets in the picture
theyre all part of a team!!1

bushido's fast-paced slaughterfest RDM and wrapperup/zix's slower-paced strategic RDM are straight-up too jarringly different to mix well.

i think the server should be, as bushido said, split in two so everyone's happy

i agree with nav's idea
hell even the block textures seem to support it, given that pr_bushidos_server is plastered on each and every one of them

on a more serious note, the removal of shields really broke the balance here, as this map is practically made for rocket jumping and that's not as easy to do with fall damage getting the best of you
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 03:55:19 AM by Tudoreleu »

What are those ModTer prints, and how can i get my hands on them?

So i wanted to make my own map for randomizer but i suck ass at building so i made a little map if anyone wants to use the idea anyways
I was thinking from South > North the map would go on a hill and the top would be on like a cliff but yeah

ignore that yellow box

If it is large enough, seems like a good idea. Someone should use this.

If it is large enough, seems like a good idea. Someone should use this.
I forgot to mention that the blackish color are roads, and light gray are like buildings. I'm not really sure wether or not the buildings would be 2d and have roofs to walk on or not.

I think the server just crashed.