Author Topic: is at&t lying to me  (Read 4309 times)

I contacted them in concern that 3 Mbps down/ 512 kbps up went be suitable for my needs. they said it would take ten to fifteen minutes to download a twenty gigabyte game because of their "fiber optic internet".  my old isp was 9 mb/s down and 2 mb/s up broadband  internet. what do you think? posting on phone so forgive me

mediacom promises me 15 mbps down and i'm getting .5 - 2
it takes around 15 minutes just to download a 1gb file

Yes.
I have like 5 down and it still takes at least half an hour to download an 8gb game. Without anyone else using the internet.

I meant to put that it took all night to download css  on steam with my old isp

lol it would take like a day for me to download a 20 gb game

is it not the same thing
Nope. Megabits are the numbers ISPs sell you. 100 megabits is equal to like 12.5 MB

i have ~64Mbps down and it takes me about twenty minutes to download 10GB. they're talking through their bums and you should probably be suspicious from the start if they're offering speeds around a fifth of the average download speed in the US. actually, looking at another site, it's even less.

is it not the same thing
8 bits = 1 byte

Nope. Megabits are the numbers ISPs sell you. 100 megabits is equal to like 12.5 MB

An easier way to remember this is  1 Megabyte(MB) = 8 Megabit(Mb)

3 is terrible. really really old school.
minimum should be like 20 nowadays

its simple guys. 3000/8 = a total of 375k per second to multitask on your entire home network.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 09:02:41 PM by Bisjac »

3 is terrible. really really old school.

minimum should be like 20 nowadays

That's AT&T for you. Archaic speeds for highway robbery prices.

That's AT&T for you. Archaic speeds for highway robbery prices.
and my mother refuses to switch "BUT MY UVERSE INTERNET AND CABLE"

Fiber companies need to get their asses everywhere besides little towns. Google Fiber I'm lookin at you.