Which OS Do you prefer?

Windows
42 (71.2%)
Mac OS X
11 (18.6%)
Linux
6 (10.2%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Author Topic: Windows vs. Mac OS X Megathread  (Read 11182 times)

I'm going to add onto what otto-san is saying and address this part of glass's post:
You are paying more for the Software and the services that come with having an Apple computer (iCloud, no other examples given)
when you need help you can contact Apple support which is usually pretty quick. If all else fails you can run up to an Apple store and usually have your product fixed pretty quick depending on the problem.
So first off, the purpose of iCloud is to store all your files on a cloud drive somewhere so you can access it on any apple device. However there are other perfectly viable, free alternatives to the iCloud, many of which have even better value. Some examples are Dropbox, Mega, Google Drive, and OneDrive. All 4 include desktop and mobile apps that allow all your files to be synced to whatever device you have, just like iCloud.

Dropbox offers 2GB free and 1TB for $11 a month. You can even access your files from a smart TV.
Google Drive offers 15GB free and 1TB for $10 a month.
Mega offers 50GB free and 1TB for 10€ ($11.34 at the moment) a month
iCloud offers 5GB free and 1TB for $20 a month.
OneDrive offers 15GB free and 1TB for an astonishing $7 a month, that's almost 3x cheaper. It also comes with office 365 for free. You can also access it on certain smart TVs.

So as you can see, iCloud really isn't all that unique.
I'm ignoring your claim about ease of use because that's irrelevant here, I'm looking at cold hard facts, not opinion.

Now about the tech support. First off, most problems for windows can be solved totally for free just by searching online. Every single one of the problems I've had I've been able to solve completely on my own with no help, just the trusty ol' free internet. Now I understand that for the less tech savvy individual it may take a bit more help to solve their problem. In cases like these you can call a friend, or call microsoft support. I'm not sure how much that costs, couldn't find anything online. If you have hardware problems, you have a couple options. You can 1. fix it yourself or 2. take it into a repair shop.

Now, for apple computers, being able to get your stuff repaired in the shop costs money. It's called AppleCare+, and it costs $170 every 3 years that you want your device protected. I'm not sure how much it costs if you don't have applecare+, but it probably costs more. That's about the equivalent price of going into the shop to get your computer fixed anyways. Getting phone support also costs money. $35 per incident, according to the apple website... That's a pretty hefty price if you ask me.

So really, I don't see anything special about what they offer.

I'm going to add onto what otto-san is saying and address this part of glass's post:So first off, the purpose of iCloud is to store all your files on a cloud drive somewhere so you can access it on any apple device. However there are other perfectly viable, free alternatives to the iCloud, many of which have even better value. Some examples are Dropbox, Mega, Google Drive, and OneDrive. All 4 include desktop and mobile apps that allow all your files to be synced to whatever device you have, just like iCloud.

Dropbox offers 2GB free and 1TB for $11 a month. You can even access your files from a smart TV.
Google Drive offers 15GB free and 1TB for $10 a month.
Mega offers 50GB free and 1TB for 10€ ($11.34 at the moment) a month
iCloud offers 5GB free and 1TB for $20 a month.
OneDrive offers 15GB free and 1TB for an astonishing $7 a month, that's almost 3x cheaper. It also comes with office 365 for free. You can also access it on certain smart TVs.

So as you can see, iCloud really isn't all that unique.
I'm ignoring your claim about ease of use because that's irrelevant here, I'm looking at cold hard facts, not opinion.

Now about the tech support. First off, most problems for windows can be solved totally for free just by searching online. Every single one of the problems I've had I've been able to solve completely on my own with no help, just the trusty ol' free internet. Now I understand that for the less tech savvy individual it may take a bit more help to solve their problem. In cases like these you can call a friend, or call microsoft support. I'm not sure how much that costs, couldn't find anything online. If you have hardware problems, you have a couple options. You can 1. fix it yourself or 2. take it into a repair shop.

Now, for apple computers, being able to get your stuff repaired in the shop costs money. It's called AppleCare+, and it costs $170 every 3 years that you want your device protected. I'm not sure how much it costs if you don't have applecare+, but it probably costs more. That's about the equivalent price of going into the shop to get your computer fixed anyways. Getting phone support also costs money. $35 per incident, according to the apple website... That's a pretty hefty price if you ask me.

So really, I don't see anything special about what they offer.
iCloud only recently started the hosting, it used to only be (and still is, which I am referring to) a service which would sync documents, contacts, photos, and some other things across your entire ecosystem of devices. Sure Google now offers most of that now, but Windows or even Android (couple people brought up android, so yes I am going to mention it here) have yet to offer anything close to the synchronization and integration between devices like what Apple does (Handoff, Continuity, iCloud, etc). And as I said, it all comes down to personal preference in terms of what people like, I personally rather use OSX than Windows because of the simplicity of the OS (again, a personal preference of which none of you seem to understand), the professional look of it, and some other stuff. One thing I also like about OSX is the built in encryption tool (Disk Utility), given they have the same thing for Windows with a third party app, OSX gives it to you for free and it's pretty much painless to use. Oh and don't forget macs don't get viruses. this was a joke don't hurt me pls

And if we are talking about the MacBook's then you also get some things that most Windows laptops don't have. Design and Build Quality; the MacBook family has aluminum which gives it a sleek look and feel to it versus it's Windows counterparts which for the large part use plastic and other cheaper material (again not all, you have laptops like the dell Inspiron 15 7000). Then there is battery life, because Apple has it's down hardware/software it is able to optimize their products much better for battery life.

Really I could keep listing the benefits of OSX here but I am not going to because I know all you thickheaded Windows/Android extremists wont listen to a thing I say, none of you will change your stance on the subject. All I am trying to say is that if you are looking for a new computer, know whats out there and buy according to what you need/like.

Short and Simple:

You do or want to do a lot of gaming? Get a Windows computer.

You just use the computer for everyday things and like Apple Services/OS versus Windows? Get a mac.

You just like Windows versus OSX? Well I mean, get windows.

Mac abuses workers (many children) in china to make their products and doesn't give a single stuff about it.
nah nah the company you want to point your fingers at is foxconn. they produce for a lot of other companies that arent apple. like samsung. the working conditions are exactly 100% verified either. they could be making things up about the abuse or they could be real. all the sources are so asswashed it makes your brain twirl

im all for slave labor, so long as they pass the savings onto me. if they dont, then forget them.

Holy stuff whats this console thing?!

thats.. that's the console that has been around for quite some time buddy

I don't need to run windows programs. I utilize the Unix-based core of Mac OS X. This is very useful because I don't have to install Cygwin or MinGW in order to load useful tools like GNU Binutils. Sure the dev packages are very outdated but you can install up-to-date ones.

The only reason I even got the mac was out of my immature stupidity, though. My next computer will probably be a Windows/Linux one.

I recommend you only buy a mac if you really really know what you are doing.

Honestly, I've gotta wonder just how much experience many of you even have with OS X, 'cause some of the stuff you're saying is total nonsense. The OS is locked down? Hardly. It's just as accessible as Windows. I will use either one and be just fine. And I'm not trying to sound like a know-it-all, but I HAVE had years and years of experience with both systems (spanning at least four OS versions on each), and I do know more about the nooks and crannies of OS X than the average user.

thats.. that's the console that has been around for quite some time buddy

I know, was being sarcastic. I just switched to windows and in mac there was no console window

Honestly, I've gotta wonder just how much experience many of you even have with OS X, 'cause some of the stuff you're saying is total nonsense. The OS is locked down? Hardly. It's just as accessible as Windows. I will use either one and be just fine. And I'm not trying to sound like a know-it-all, but I HAVE had years and years of experience with both systems (spanning at least four OS versions on each), and I do know more about the nooks and crannies of OS X than the average user.
Exactly this, I have used OSX since Leopard and Windows since 7. Most people here don't have macs or know much so they instantly assume its stuff.

I might've bought a mac if they weren't so expensive. I can get alternatives to apple products that are the same level of quality or more for half the price.

The hardware and software is fine, it's just that I don't wanna run my bank account dry :v

See, the only problem is that they are expensive. Sure 40% of your game might be windows, but thats why theres BootCamp or Wine.

The design isnt that bad and is very fluent. It doesnt crash, its fast, dont diss it. Windows is still better though.

Bullstuff.

Apple products are known to last longer. My IMac ran fine for 4 years without anything more than internal-dusting and keeping the hard disk clear. It would have gone on for much longer if it weren't for me leaving it in direct sunlight in summer and having a connection fry. Much longer. I still boot it up every once in a while to recover old files.
My family still has a working computer that they bought about 14-15 years ago. Not a Mac. Slow as hell but still works.
Also still have a computer that runs Windows 3.1, no idea when they bought that.
A computer lasting 4 years isn't spectacular by any means. That's a normal life cycle, if not less.

Exactly this, I have used OSX since Leopard and Windows since 7. Most people here don't have macs or know much so they instantly assume its stuff.
I don't think it's stuff. It's probably great for some things. But trying to sell a modified version of BSD for $600+ is complete and utter bullstuff.

I also don't really like it because when I picture a Unix system, I picture something like Arch Linux or OpenBSD. These are both operating systems where I get to choose each and every little detail about how I use it.
On Mac, you just have a floating WM with a panel and an optional dock. That's it, you can't change it.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 10:48:06 AM by blueblur121 »