Author Topic: TransAsia flight crashes into river  (Read 2612 times)

Funny how every airplane from asia goes either missing or crashing.

I don't think funny is the right word choice for this.

I don't think funny is the right word choice for this.
Cool your jets, mate. It's an expression.

--

The lesson here is to always fly with an airline that has a reliable safety record and which doesn't skimp on plane maintenance. Sticking with the bigger jets is also a better idea (bigger jets as in your Boeing 737s and upwards, and your Airbus A330s and upwards). There's far more regulations in place which force large jets to have very special equipment, flight checklists/routines and maintenance as mandatory, whereas smaller jets can get away without them, even though it could pose a risk to all onboard.

how do you mean cool your jets i just told him that he used the wrong wording
it happens

how do you mean cool your jets i just told him that he used the wrong wording
it happens
I was using an expression as well. I thought you came off as one of those sharp pricks who gets extremely sensitive any time somebody shows the slightest shred of humour in a topic about death.

I don't think there's such thing as a "wrong wording" when it comes to something like this. The dead people aren't going to come out of the ground like zombies, buy Blockland accounts and complain because some random kid on the Internet said "funny", and I'd bet money that nobody here knows the people involved.

I was using an expression as well. I thought you came off as one of those sharp pricks who gets extremely sensitive any time somebody shows the slightest shred of humour in a topic about death.

I don't think there's such thing as a "wrong wording" when it comes to something like this. The dead people aren't going to come out of the ground like zombies, buy Blockland accounts and complain because some random kid on the Internet said "funny", and I'd bet money that nobody here knows the people involved.

Nah I just found it strange someone affiliated mass death with funny so I pointed it out.
I understand that people think I'm a thunderforget now because of that post pictures of you IRL topic, but I think it was quite obvious I wasn't really posting there to "prove a point" more than joking around something so, uh, mundane.

--

The lesson here is to always fly with an airline that has a reliable safety record and which doesn't skimp on plane maintenance. Sticking with the bigger jets is also a better idea (bigger jets as in your Boeing 737s and upwards, and your Airbus A330s and upwards). There's far more regulations in place which force large jets to have very special equipment, flight checklists/routines and maintenance as mandatory, whereas smaller jets can get away without them, even though it could pose a risk to all onboard.
yeah, wasnt the plane in question a french turboprop?
id say the only way you could make a more unreliable and faulty plane is if it was soviet but even still there's a soviet turboprop bomber still in use by the russian air force today and iirc is gonna stay in service until 2040 or smth

I know you're joking like I said before, but Malcom Gladwell's book Outliers (Which is an excellent read, def worth checking out) has a section where he discusses the influence of a pilot's cultural background in relation to aeroplane crashes such as this.

Specifically, he suggests that in cultures that have more pronounced social hierarchies (where people must be uber polite and defer to their elders/superiors with the greatest respect lest they appear rude) there tends to be issues with communication. The style of communication is less direct and in situations like these the co-pilot may have tried to warn the pilot of a potentially catastrophic problem but didn't push the point for fear of appearing rude or disrespectful.

I believe this article refers to that section of the book. (Disclaimer: I only skimmed the top of that article, it's prob not all relevant)

I should also note that supposedly these cultural communication problems in the roosterpit were acknowledged and addressed by the airlines involved, so it may no longer be applicable.

alright it wasn't a 747, it was a smaller plane. not that it makes it any better but it makes a bit more sense

asians fly worse than they drive.

asians fly worse than they drive.
"Let's see, something terrible has happened, and people are dead. Hmm. I wonder if I can use this as an opportunity to be tribal, probably while trying to justify it as using 'humor' to cope with it."

"Let's see, something terrible has happened, and people are dead. Hmm. I wonder if I can use this as an opportunity to be tribal, probably while trying to justify it as using 'humor' to cope with it."
lol someone doesn't like dark humor.