Unreal Engine 4 is now completely free to be used by anyone

Author Topic: Unreal Engine 4 is now completely free to be used by anyone  (Read 1182 times)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sQnQMls2ss

Probably the most beautiful thing to happen in 2015 so far. I love you, Epic.

oh wow

i wonder what type of games will come of this

HAAAAAAAAAAEAJSHEJASBEHJB YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SI NCANT BELIEVE IT

Semi-related note: My favorite Unreal game was Unreal Tournament 2004.
!!

inb4blocklandunrealengineupda te

There is no monthly subscription charge, but they charge 5% of gross revenue after the first $3000 per product per quarter.

There is no monthly subscription charge, but they charge 5% of gross revenue after the first $3000 per product per quarter.

To put ^this in perspective:
The 5% royalty only applies to money made from the game above a certain threshold ($3,000) every 3 months. So if your UE4 games makes $4,000 in 3 months, then you'll have to pay Epic 5% of $1000 ($4000 - $3000), which is just $50 USD.
So the royalties are practically nothing, the only real cost is actually making the damn game.

nvm. I should of put my topic in Games lol

So the royalties are practically nothing, the only real cost is actually making the damn game.
i think they might expect a huge wave of people moving from unity to unreal
which means if they make making a game easy, that means more money for them

i think they might expect a huge wave of people moving from unity to unreal
which means if they make making a game easy, that means more money for them
Definitely, yeah. Everyone and their cousin is going to hop on this engine, and it's a brilliant win-win situation for everyone, really.

Definitely, yeah. Everyone and their cousin is going to hop on this engine, and it's a brilliant win-win situation for everyone, really.
sorry my sarcasm detector is broken

uh... what
i saw it as sarcasm
it might not be sarcasm though, so sorry about that

sorry my sarcasm detector is broken
It's definitely not, it really is a win win for everyone. People get to make games for free, and the people who are really successful pay unreal and they get money