Author Topic: Additional Bot events  (Read 756 times)

cancrouch (boolean)

onbottouch (OTHER bots!)

canmove (boolean. I KNOW ABOUT THE WANDERDISTANCE EVENT! READ BELOW!)

friendlyfire (boolean)

toocloserange (IN GAME!)

addrelativevelocity (for BOTS)

Has anyone ever suggested these? They seem alot easier to do than the add-ons dudes frequently post on here. I just don't understand why they're not here yet.
That thought aside, I'll tell you guys why these events are worth creating in detail.

Cancrouch would be awesome because setIdlebehavior doesn't work at all during minigames. Sometimes, people don't want bots crouching randomly during close-quarters combat or gunfights. It sorta ruins the experience. As for why the setIdlebehavior doesn't work, I'm pretty sure it's because of the force-code used when bots detect enemies in minigames. It's really annoying, but when a bot I've evented to act a certain way detects an enemy DURING minigames, (which is the only way to get them to attack) nearly every behavioral attribute I've applied to it is like...OVER-RULED or something. VERY annoying.

The onbottouch event already in-game works, but, like the onbotdamage add-on, it only works for players. This means that if I want a bot to pull out a melee weapon if it touches another bot, it won't. It will only do this if it touches the player. I'm willing to put up with it donning a melee weapon if it touches a bot of the same team.

Alright, so the canmove event. You might be shouting, "Just use the wanderdistance event ya' foo'!" Well, start up blockland, set a bot's wanderdistance to OFF, make an enemy bot to fight this bot, then start a minigame. Now, do you see? Like the setidlebehavior event, it is ignored when a bot detects an enemy in a minigame. Has anyone else noticed this? It's PRETTY hard to just ignore.

The friendlyfire event may not even be possible, but I don't know that. (*coughworksforslayercough*That's why I'm suggesting it. It's self-explanatory in it's use. I don't want my friendly bots shooting me in the back until I die in an attempt to shoot an enemy. It happens WAY too often, and has ruined about half of the maps I've made. Seriously, I'm being very calm about this one. Not that the internet cares about angry people, but I'd consider this one of the more important suggestions in this list.

Ah, the toocloserange event. Many of you may be saying, "Just go edit the AvoidCloseRange and TooCloseRange code in the cs file." I'd concur with that suggestion if it worked. It simply doesn't. Don't believe me? Go to the cs file and set the AvoidCloseRange to 1 and the TooCloseRange to whatever. Make it a freakin' billion, I don't care. The default range by brick units is seven. Done that? Ok, now go start a bot fight in blockland. Notice how the bots are still strafe-ramming each other? Ok, now go back to the cs file. Notice that the TooCloseRange is back to seven if you've changed it, and that the AvoidCloseRange is still 1, indicating that it's activated but just not working. Naturally, you'd get frustrated. Get my point? I feel this should be put in-game as one of the events the bots can be used with. Maybe it'll work then? I also don't think it's efficient to have to change the general bot_hole type in its entirety. What if I only want a few bots to use the code? Do I basically have to make a seperate bot add-on?

The addrelativevelocity event is generally one of my favorite events, but you know what would make it cooler? Being able to work it with bots! I've drooled over this idea so much that I actually tried to create the add-on myself. I failed pretty badly and realized that I simply don't have the skill. Maybe one of you geniuses could do it?

So, those are a few add-ons I feel should to be made. If not, at least explain why no one  has done them or why they're impossible. You guys create whole MODS and stuff, so a simple event add-on doesn't seem, at least to me, out of the way, or out of your skill-range. Why not? It seems to be alot easier than the usual stuff you dudes create. It would also be ridiculously useful to guys that can't afford internet at the moment as the result of stingy bosses and a horrible economy. :)