i'm following too many people on twitter

Author Topic: i'm following too many people on twitter  (Read 892 times)

this is the worst day of my life

now what

huh same year 9/11 happened

coincidence? i think not

unfollow some of those dweeeebs

who would follow that many people
wouldn't you have to refresh your feed or something every 2 seconds?

unfollow some of those dweeeebs
i did but then i just followed more people....

who would follow that many people
wouldn't you have to refresh your feed or something every 2 seconds?
>2015
>using the twitter main site's feed

Why does it limit how many you can follow? That's handicapped

Why does it limit how many you can follow? That's handicapped
because you can only store so much information

sure, but what's that got to do with anything

2,000 seems like an arbitrarily low number for an extremely popular social media site

i've been unfollowing some lewd twitters and some bots but i don't know how long i can really hold out
this is going to be rough

apparently the number of people you can follow past the limit is tied to your followers? which is really dumb?? more often than not the people i've seen with a lot of followers don't follow as many because they're professional accounts or something similar while personal accounts with not too many followers follow a lot of people. twitter is dum

sure, but what's that got to do with anything
two years ago twitter had 232 million members, dunno how much now, but that's probably still a good number to use
if somehow they managed to store every person you follow with only one byte per person, and everyone followed 2,000 people, it would take 464 petabytes (in reality it would be more, because one byte per person is unreasonable). just for the followers
2,000 seems like an arbitrarily low number for an extremely popular social media site
2000 is definitely more than you can actually keep up with
it's like
internet hoarding

if somehow they managed to store every person you follow with only one byte per person, and everyone followed 2,000 people, it would take 464 petabytes (in reality it would be more, because one byte per person is unreasonable). just for the followers
i'm pretty sure they're more competent programmers you seem to think they are
i find it unlikely that followers are kept track of with just a text file of who follows who

2000 is definitely more than you can actually keep up with
it's like
internet hoarding
not that all 2000 are actually active all at once (i'm sure some are dead by now, and you'd think there'd be a way to actually check this on a mass scale but nah), but i have no trouble with it

i'm pretty sure they're more competent programmers you seem to think they are
i find it unlikely that followers are kept track of with just a text file of who follows who
well, information in a database still requires storage space. you can't really avoid that
each twitter user probably has some number associated with them, along with their name. they'd probably use those numbers for storing followers, because it'd use less space than their names
0-255 is easy with one byte, but you can't store 232 million people with those 256 numbers. to get that much you need at least three and a half bytes
that's the smallest possible way I can imagine to do it. and it wouldn't be future-proof. with that three and a half bytes you can only store up to 268 million, which has probably been exceeded by now, so I'm sure they just use four bytes (also because I don't think there's any way to use just half a byte), which gives them plenty

uhh. I think that's probably enough to get my point across

it would take 464 petabytes
FYI 232,000,000 * 2000 is 464 billion not quadrillion.

According to the website it's a tactic to prevent bots from constantly following thousands and thousands of different accounts constantly and other related scenarios.