Author Topic: Regaining Game Key  (Read 4272 times)

Recently remembered blockland, and noticed its now on steam, wondering if there is a way to regain my key to play on steam. Lost my email years back.

Well, if you don't know your email then im pretty sure you cant get it back im sorry.

Do you still have access to the email you bought the key with, or a working copy of blockland with the key installed on an old computer?

Do you still have access to the email you bought the key with, or a working copy of blockland with the key installed on an old computer?

I still have access to the email. But the email sent with the key is long gone.

Then go to the recovery on Blockland.us and enter your e-mail to get your key sent to it.

Then go to the recovery on Blockland.us and enter your e-mail to get your key sent to it.

If it was a snake, it would've bit me. I appreciate it man. Thank you so much.

Now would be a good time to mention that I'm in the process of making an open-source recovery software that allows you to collect your key from your existing blockland installation, assuming you can still play the game normally. It should be out relatively soon.

Now would be a good time to mention that I'm in the process of making an open-source recovery software that allows you to collect your key from your existing blockland installation, assuming you can still play the game normally. It should be out relatively soon.

Really? This relatively easy to do already considering there's a KEY.DAT in the loving blockland folder. What are you even............

Really? This relatively easy to do already considering there's a KEY.DAT in the loving blockland folder. What are you even............
except that the key.dat file is encrypted, which makes it quite a bit harder than just opening it and seeing your key there
and not to mention that you can't just use that file as your key, it only works on the computer that made it

allows you to collect your key from your existing blockland installation, assuming you can still play the game normally

The software is to recover the key itself so you can use it other places. If you've lost the key itself and only have an installation working then you're prone to losing it forever.

The software is to recover the key itself so you can use it other places. If you've lost the key itself and only have an installation working then you're prone to losing it forever.
I understand that, but how would this idea work?
The only way a user can lose a key in the first place is if they forget the purchasing email/pass, or the purchasing email is deleted by the provider after years of inactivity.

If that's the case, it's the user's fault for not caring enough, and ignoring the obvious.
I keep my BL-Key saved to a TXT document on floppy, a flash drive, and in a hidden folder on my PC for personal backup. I know this is a bit extreme, but I don't understand how people can lose their key without being ignorant and not saving it somewhere important.

Hell, use your Google Drive if you have to.

I understand that, but how would this idea work?
The only way a user can lose a key in the first place is if they forget the purchasing email/pass, or the purchasing email is deleted by the provider after years of inactivity.

If that's the case, it's the user's fault for not caring enough, and ignoring the obvious.
I keep my BL-Key saved to a TXT document on floppy, a flash drive, and in a hidden folder on my PC for personal backup. I know this is a bit extreme, but I don't understand how people can lose their key without being ignorant and not saving it somewhere important.

Hell, use your Google Drive if you have to.
Frequently the issue arises from people who haven't played in a long time looking to get their key back after having neglected the game for a very long time. It's more frequent than you may think that the situation is "I lost my email and the key, but this old computer of mine still runs it. Can I get it back?".

Frequently the issue arises from people who haven't played in a long time looking to get their key back after having neglected the game for a very long time. It's more frequent than you may think that the situation is "I lost my email and the key, but this old computer of mine still runs it. Can I get it back?".
I understand. I was worried a while back when hotmail changed to outlook that I might lose my email, but from the day I bought Blockland I stored my key into a .txt file and have since saved it to various personal drives.

What I don't understand is how something like what he is describing would work without stealing someone's key info. If the user neglected the game so badly, they almost deserve to buy another copy. Emails take years to expire, and although I understand forgetting an email password, there are means for recovery. If you really did forget your email stuff and it's that important, then you lost more than just Blockland my friend. What's more important: Your personal email info, or your blockland key?

People should save their key somewhere besides their email from day 1 anyways.
It's literally the price you pay for neglecting the game for so long.
Call it unfair. I call it justice for idiocy.

It's no different than buying a new game disk you let sit around and get all scratched to hell

What I don't understand is how something like what he is describing would work without stealing someone's key info.

The user that lost his email downloads the program, it extracts the key from his key.dat and shows it to the user. Is it that hard to understand?