Author Topic: Just wanted to give an introduction  (Read 2409 times)

Hello, Blockland community! I'm a player from 2008, well...demo player. Back then, I was 10 and my parents didn't trust online purchasing back then. I pretty much just binge the demo playing with the 100 block limit and bring it to its knees with bedroom and I remembered there being a mountain.

It's sad to see now that I finally bought the game years later seeing it pop up on steam and bringing up memories of those great times, but bedroom and the mountain terrain completely gone. Though, I'm ready to do my part with creating maps and such.

I mainly sit on the subreddit, but im starting to make my way over here and plan on talking to others and posting creations and such.

(Im ChaoticFr33k on the subreddit.) Thanks for reading~!

I remembered there being a mountain.
ahh good old slope

yeah, terrain was removed in a shader update. you know i would say its a huge shame you didnt get to experience blockland the way everyone should have, but if you truly set your mind to the game, your first years are the best. have fun!

ahh good old slope

yeah, terrain was removed in a shader update.

Ah! That's what it was, slope! I remember always going off-roading on that map. Good times I tell you.

And how come kompressor removed terrain/indoors? Couldn't he/they have just put it into the game and not take out something people feel so deep about? I'm almost positive it shouldn't create any lighting errors and such. Though, I digress the game does look a bit better with the shaders. /rant

And how come kompressor removed terrain/indoors?

Old slow blah blah stuff thats been said before.

If you really want to see the bedroom in the new bl, check this out http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=266409.0
it's not a fulltime replacement, but its pretty darn close.

Wow, that's really spot on.  :cookieMonster:

Old slow blah blah stuff thats been said before.

If you really want to see the bedroom in the new bl, check this out http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=266409.0
it's not a fulltime replacement, but its pretty darn close.
How easy is it to create your own static map?

OT: Welcome (back?) sir

I guess you could say I was in the same situation as you, just replace 2008 with 2009-2010 and say I bought the game in 2013. Yeah I was a bit disappointed when I found out the interiors and terrain were removed in return for the shadows and shaders, but theres still a lot of fun to be had without the maps. There's  a ton of topics arguing about the situation and theres a development thread explaining the update if you want to know more.

Also what trogtor said true, your first years are some of your best in the game. Experiencing the full game for the first time can give you a nice feeling  and you'll probably find yourself in a variety of events later down the road. So yeah uh welcome.

I was 10 and my parents didn't trust online purchasing back then.
I don't believe in buying.

I don't believe in buying.
No, the Internet will hack my credit card!

There's  a ton of topics arguing about the situation and theres a development thread explaining the update if you want to know more.

Also what trogtor said true, your first years are some of your best in the game. Experiencing the full game for the first time can give you a nice feeling.

Would you mind linking me to that update thread? That would be nice to read since I'm still confused why they did it.

I've been trying to get my building skills up, and that's the main drive to me. I always felt that I needed more building materials than I get in pretty much any other game. I've already gotten my monies worth from the game, and I plan to stay for a log time.

Would you mind linking me to that update thread? That would be nice to read since I'm still confused why they did it.
http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=184263.0

This is pretty much why
In order to make all this possible, though, we need to kill two old, slow features in Blockland: interiors and terrains.

These two features complicate Blockland’s code tremendously. That means we can’t add game features very quickly. They still have bugs in them (after years of work). They are slow, too - bricks are about 90% of their speed and can do a LOT more (explosions, events, in-game editing).

They also look bad

Reading that update thread, taking out Interiors and Terrains was their best option. I'm still saddened that they had to take them out, but no one likes change. (Technically).  I figured it gave them problems with coding and just general errors with the game.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

I don't know why i'm guessing this but i think on the last update when they get finish with coding they may add it back.

I'm not sure where you got that idea from, but i don't see how they would add them back if they had to be removed for the shaders in the first place

"I think on the last update when they get finish with coding they may add it back."

Can you explain please your reasoning? If they could make it where it doesn't make their lives 200 times harder, I could see why they would possibly bring it back. Even a graphical update maybe?

I'm probably just shooting out of the ball-park with that idea though.