Poll

acra??

keep it
meh
kill it with fire

Author Topic: The Craftsmen's Stalkers vs Humans  (Read 3090 times)

Server status: Down

Thanks to The Blue Creeper for making us a logo!

A new inquiry into the ancient Aztec civilization has led a team of Archaeologists to central America, where great riches, vast deposits of knowledge, and still greater danger await them: some of the newly discovered ruins were not entirely devoid of activity upon their arrival.
   The "inhabitants" of the ruins, dubbed "Stalkers" for their preferred method of killing, are dangerous beings that fiercely guard the ruins. A team of mercenaries was sent in to clear them out and allow research. While the first groups saw moderate success, the Stalkers grew accustomed to their weaponry and adapted. From that point on, central America came to become known as a Self Delete assignment.
   Despite the vengeful spirit's corporeal form being vulnerable to conventional weapons, what they lack in weaponry they more then make up for in cunning and dark magic. In an effort to recruit even more forces without needing to buy each mercenary, the Archaeologists are offering top-dollar to he who can successfully defeat the Stalker menace. The organization ASORL attempts to crush the "stalkers" with a pile of bodies. Now, on the onset of a great war, one question stands above all others:

Who will win? The Stalkers - or the Humans?

THE TEAMS
Item/mechanic suggestions welcome!

Humans
The human team includes Archaeologists, mercenaries, and ASORL members. Their goal is to stop the Stalker defense and recover as many artifacts and as much information as possible.

Gun Weapon Slot
  • Pistol (Default) - 17.5 damage. 70 max ammo, regens 35 rounds/min. Includes anti-cloak flashlight.
  • (Pump) Shotgun - 7x7 damage. 40 max ammo, regens 15 rounds/min.
  • Assault Rifle - 10-20 damage. 100 max ammo, regens 50 rounds/min.
  • Accelerated Carbon Regeneration Aura (A.C.R.A.) - Healing device. Heals nearby teammates for 7.5 every second.
  • Flamethrower - A terrifying weapon that fires bursts of flame.
Melee Weapon Slot
  • Katana (Default) - 20 damage.
  • Taser - Incapacitates target for 4 seconds. 16 brick range, 15 second cooldown.
  • Repulsor - Knocks all stalkers in a wide cone in front of you into the air and back.
  • Sledgehammer - Dazes the victim, slowing them for 2 seconds.
  • Shield - A large shield that repels attacks and reflects spells.
Gadget Slot
Note: You can quickly use your gadget by pressing the jet key.
  • Stimpak (Default) - Medkits that can be used on other players or yourself to heal for 25 HP and an additional 25 HP over 10 seconds. 25 second cooldown. Use on other players by looking at them and pressing the jet key while you have the stimpak equipped.
  • Flares - Light up a zone, preventing nearby Stalkers from cloaking. 16 brick radius, 8 second duration, 45 second cooldown.
  • Proximity Shocker - Stuns Stalkers that touch you for 1 second. 15 second cooldown.
  • Body Armor - Reduces damage taken. 50% of frontal, 35% of side, and 20% of back damage is negated.
  • Rocket Boots - Uses rocket propulsion to enable a speedy getaway. Increases movement speed by 300% for 5 seconds, but while running at this speed you are unable to use any weapons. 60 second cooldown.
  • Healing Bullets - Changes your Pistol, Shotgun, or Assault Rifle to fire bullets that heal your allies but only deal half damage to stalkers.
Basic Strategy: Travel in groups. Do not underestimate the usefulness pistol's flashlight or your stimpaks. Watch your teammates' backs. The Stalkers have knives, you have a gun - keep them at a distance and pick them off. Humans are practically fodder while solo.

Stalkers
The Stalkers are the guardians of the newly discovered Aztec ruins, the Aztec god Omacatl's fury incarnate. Their goal is simple: protect the ruins from the human invaders.

Knife Slot
Note: All knives deal double damage from behind unless noted otherwise.
  • Stalker Knife (Default) - 15 damage, or 70 damage crits (boom) from behind within 1.5 seconds of being cloaked.
  • Momentum Knife - 10 damage. Deals increased damage based on the speed you are moving.
  • Shadow Knife - 15 damage. Does not break cloak, and blinds the victim for 1.5 seconds. However, causes movement while cloaked to drain energy (the cloak will break if you run out of energy).
  • Bloodlust Knife - 20 damage, +10% of damage caused in the last 30 seconds.
  • Serrated Knife - 15 damage, and severely reduces the potency of healing effects on the victim for 5 seconds. This effect stacks.
Magic Slot
  • Darkness (Default) - Blinds target for a short time. 4 second duration, 12 second cooldown.
  • Paralysis - Stuns target for 4 seconds, but also stuns the caster.
  • Shadowstep - Step through the shadows and appear behind the target. Does not break cloak. 24 second cooldown.
  • Schizophrenia - Makes the target hallucinate, as if they were being attacked.
  • Gripping Shadows - Stops the target in its tracks, immobilizing it for 5 seconds.
Curse Slot
  • Toxin (Default) - 5 seconds of exposure causes a 3.5 second stun effect. Looks like a poison cloud.
  • Wrath - Ticks per 1.5 seconds, dealing 2 damage. Exposure causes increased damage (double per stack, building per tick, up to 64). Looks like fire.
  • Rage -  Humans within the zone take increased damage from all attacks, with the effect increasing over time. Looks like angry red clouds.
  • Abyss - Slows down all humans within the target area. If they remain within the curse for 7 seconds, they will be continuously blinded until the curse ends or they leave its area of effect.
  • Psychosis - Every 2 seconds, a dummy Stalker will appear and charge each human within this curse. The dummy stalker will disappear upon colliding with a human or taking damage. It would be an excellent idea to follow the dummies into the fray while the humans are distracted.

Basic Strategy: Overuse your cloaking ability. Attack from behind, and whatever you do, don't get noticed. Pick off lone humans and kill pairs by blinding one and blitzing the other. Groups can be dispersed by throwing a curse their way. Use your speed to your advantage.

GAME MECHANICS GUIDE
  • Stalkers can smell for nearby humans using the light key. This will reveal the number of humans nearby, as well as the approximate distance and direction of the nearest one.
  • Stalkers can cloak with the jet key. Cloaking makes them completely invisible, but taking damage or being hit with a flashlight beam will make the cloaking much less effective for a short time. You cannot cloak within a certain amount of time after taking or dealing damage.
  • Being stunned or attacking by any means (except while using the Shadow Knife) will uncloak a stalker completely.
  • Humans equipped with the pistol can use the Flashlight to reveal cloaked stalkers near the beam. The Flashlight is activated with the light key. Flashlight use will drain energy, which recharges slowly for the human team.
  • You can change your equipped items with the /setloadout <item> command. Additional items can be unlocked by purchasing them with achievement points.
  • Most short-range weapons (and Stalker magic) use a conal raycast system, meaning you only need to be aiming within a certain number of degrees to hit something. This is 30 degrees for most weapons.
  • Most items (notably excluding the Humans' Taser and Stalkers' curses) will only trigger their cooldown if they hit something.
  • Knives are mostly invisible while cloaked. Readying a spell is completely visible while cloaked.
  • Stalkers are healed whenever a nearby Human is damaged by a knife attack.
  • The /alarm emote will alert nearby teammates that you need assistance, as well as informing them of your approximate location.
  • The curses are meant as area denial weapons. None of them are worth using against one target, and they have a minimum range. They are most effective against large, slow-moving groups and extremely effective when multiple stalkers "layer" the same curse.
  • You can view the items with the /viewstore <section> command. The items can be bought with the /buy <item> command. Items are bought with achievement points.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 06:01:07 PM by Amade »

yay you revived it

now i can host it again when its released

yay you revived it

now i can host it again when its released
yeah we're going to wait until summer when we have more time to do stuff with dod because I really don't much care to do all of that solo

I like this server, the gamemode is fun. I hope it succeeds

Very fun, but map is not secure enough. (Unless it was fixed since yesterday)

Very fun, but map is not secure enough. (Unless it was fixed since yesterday)
I don't think it's that unreasonable to expect people to just not jump out :U
But we're going to rebuild the map and hopefully do a better job of making it inescapable.

remember playing this all the time back in the day
prob one of my favorite gamemodes, played the stuff out of it. nice to see you brought it back!

Poll 1 results: "balance??"
stalkers op: 1
humens op: 1
balance!!: 11

tasers are bad and hurt feelings

you should know that amde

Sock is pretty adamant about the taser's removal and I don't feel very strongly about keeping it so it's disabled until we create a replacement. Same deal with the proximity shocker.

The momentum knife is mostly just bad. It was designed for jumping off of pillars and dealing massive damage on the way down, but that's about the last thing that it's ever used for and its damage is just ridiculous. For now, the momentum knife has been removed, but we're still trying to think of ways to make this jump-assassin style work. The bloodlust knife had similar damage problems and has been adjusted to give it a stronger and more interesting identity.

We're also strongly considering replacing the assault rifle with some sort of sniper rifle.

i think a sniper rifle would be a little iffy
if you wanted anyone to use it, you'd probably have to make it a one shot kill on a headshot, in which case it would be pretty op. and anyone thats half decent could easily travel in a group and then wreck any stalker that appeared for more then a couple seconds.
unless you made it so you had to be scoped to use the sniper rifle, then that would be very fair because that would require them to sit in one place for at least a little while and take away their peripherals

also why not replace momentum knife with throwing knives for stalkers? 15 damage with a decent drop on them seems pretty fair too me. id even make it pretty cheap, like 15-20 points or something

unless you made it so you had to be scoped to use the sniper rifle, then that would be very fair because that would require them to sit in one place for at least a little while and take away their peripherals
That's the current plan. We were thinking a 2 second charge-up.

also why not replace momentum knife with throwing knives for stalkers? 15 damage with a decent drop on them seems pretty fair too me. id even make it pretty cheap, like 15-20 points or something
Throwing knives just don't mesh with the stalker playstyle. They aren't bursty, they aren't stealthy, and they aren't risky.

By the way, you weren't kidding when you said you played this all the time. I actually recognized your name.

remember playing this all the time back in the day
prob one of my favorite gamemodes, played the stuff out of it. nice to see you brought it back!
Shouldn't be that hard to add invisible barriers...

I can repeat myself too
I don't think it's that unreasonable to expect people to just not jump out :U

This weekend there was a grand total of two incidents where I had to kick people for leaving the map despite warnings. This is an issue like voter fraud where it happens 18 times out of 300 million and for some reason some people make a big deal about it. Chill, dude.

Where were the holes?