Picking a Mechanical Keyboard for Osu! and FPS games

Author Topic: Picking a Mechanical Keyboard for Osu! and FPS games  (Read 5964 times)

I've been playing osu! for quite a while and I have noticed that the membrane keyboard I use has been letting me down on 4 star and higher maps. I can still practice and work with it, however I think its time that I search for a mechanical keyboard for gaming anways.
     I did some research on switches and it seems that purchasing a keyboard with cherry mx red switches is better suited for my playstyles. However, this is not limited to only red switches. If you think a different switch type is better for the genre I play, go ahead and suggest a keyboard with them. I can still go to the shops and test out switches.
     Alongside using the keyboard for osu!, I plan on using the keyboard for casual gaming and competitive FPS games. Games such as CSGO and BLR are examples. The keyboard I may buy is a Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Red LEDs and Cherry MX Red switches. If you know any sites with better deals, please do post them here. I am on a semi-strict budget so I am looking for a keyboard that is < 150 USD, a little over may work still.

My timezone right now is GMT+/--8:00 (HKT), late response from me, wooooooooooo

EDIT: also I would like to hear BLF's opinion on switches

« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 07:39:18 AM by Jonathant1 »

I've got a Vengeance K70 with browns too and I like it, it's not too loud and you can still hear and feel each key press

There have been a lot of reports about the LEDs dying very quickly on those though so I'd be careful if you're a fan of that feature, I don't use it so it's not a big deal for me

Have you felt mechanical switches before? You might want to find somewhere that has some on display that you can feel for yourself to help you decide

from experience, the best way to play osu is by using a graphics tablet

from experience, the best way to play osu is by using a graphics tablet

I use tablet and the z and x keys on a keyboard. I wouldn't really recommend tapping, thats gonna wear out the tablet and the pen tip.

get blue switches cus its loud af

I've got a Vengeance K70 with browns too and I like it, it's not too loud and you can still hear and feel each key press

There have been a lot of reports about the LEDs dying very quickly on those though so I'd be careful if you're a fan of that feature, I don't use it so it's not a big deal for me

Have you felt mechanical switches before? You might want to find somewhere that has some on display that you can feel for yourself to help you decide

I wouldn't really mind if the LEDs die, but you would be losing money because you would probably paying whoknowshowmuch for the LEDs.

Yeah I went to the malls around here and tried typing on a bunch of keyboards. Theres a bunch of electronic stores here in Asia, but I may just wait til I come back to the US to purchase them. Unless I find a good deal here.

get blue switches cus its loud af

My first choice was to actually get the blue switches because of the satisfying clicky sound of keys, but I wasn't sure if it would be great for osu because of that tactile feel/bump in the switch

I wouldn't really mind if the LEDs die, but you would be losing money because you would probably paying whoknowshowmuch for the LEDs.

Yeah I went to the malls around here and tried typing on a bunch of keyboards. Theres a bunch of electronic stores here in Asia, but I may just wait til I come back to the US to purchase them. Unless I find a good deal here.

Have you looked at Quickfire keyboards? The XT is cheaper (on Newegg at least, but they've only got blue switches currently in stock) and you're not paying for any of that "extra" stuff

Have you looked at Quickfire keyboards? The XT is cheaper (on Newegg at least, but they've only got blue switches currently in stock) and you're not paying for any of that "extra" stuff

Yeah ive looked at them and I thought they were pretty neat. The only problem is that the pgup and down is on the numpad itself and might be an issue with BL, but I can cope with it. Both the XT and the TK series I have looked at
http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16823129013
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 10:37:49 AM by Jonathant1 »