Procedural Terrain Generator v3 [Working on v3.1]

Author Topic: Procedural Terrain Generator v3 [Working on v3.1]  (Read 100291 times)

Looks amazing! How long does it take to generate a terrain like this?

Here's a thought: Could you make a .DLL injection that just adds a function to Blockland? Most of them override something, but what would stop you from adding? Then you could have it written in C++ and be in the same program, that is if you ever want to do that.
You can do that easily, but it would make the add-on unnecessary complex to install and use.

Tested out Mod-Ter generation, got some funky results. I generated a brick-equivalent too, to give some contrast.
As I understand, the modular terrain generation isn't actually done yet.

Looks amazing! How long does it take to generate a terrain like this?

Not too long. Especially since I sped it up using infinite player location based generation and switched off clearing chunks too far to generate the scene. But the takeaway is that the generation is surprisingly fast.

Not too long.

How long? Are we looking at something that freezes the server?

Not in my testing. Using player-position-based infinite generation, the terrain had no trouble keeping up with the player at a reasonable speed (Jetting and moving forward, for example).

Here's a thought: Could you make a .DLL injection that just adds a function to Blockland? Most of them override something, but what would stop you from adding? Then you could have it written in C++ and be in the same program, that is if you ever want to do that.
I'm open, but it wouldn't be included anytime soon; maybe for the next version. I don't see it being necessary at this point to include .DLL injections, executable files etc. for various reasons - it would delay the release of the add-on indefinitely and I'm sure would turn most people off from using the add-on. The most efficient way to make a generator would be to create meshes dynamically using OpenGL, instead of handling chunks as individual brick objects. But, all that seems rather complex and unnecessary.

For the mean time however, if you would like to speed up the generator, using larger bricks (like the 16x sizes) or reducing the chunk size, and reducing the Function and Sub-Function Delays (instead of setting them both to be 0) should help. I'm also going to try to make the noise functions slightly more efficient (for one of the future updates) by reducing how often it has to grab random values, which should make the generator in general slightly faster - especially for using the smaller bricks for terrain.

Tested the new update.

(Click for full res)
- pic -

Absolutely astounding.
Nice!

Tested out Mod-Ter generation, got some funky results. I generated a brick-equivalent too, to give some contrast.

http://imgur.com/a/RsKAO
As I understand, the modular terrain generation isn't actually done yet.
Yeah, Modular Terrain is only working to a nominal degree; it will hopefully be fully implemented for the Beta update.

Not too long. Especially since I sped it up using infinite player location based generation and switched off clearing chunks too far to generate the scene. But the takeaway is that the generation is surprisingly fast.
Usually, only using the smaller bricks like 1x1f causes some server lag. The generator breaks up calculation and brick-placement between frames, so it should put less strain on the server.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 02:06:53 PM by [GSF]Ghost »

You have to be a tester to get the update lol.
It was like 1 AM so I was also being batstuff stupid, my apologies.

No need to apologize, you'll be able to try the add-on yourself very soon - within a few weeks if all goes well.

No need to apologize, you'll be able to try the add-on yourself very soon - within a few weeks if all goes well.
Oh I'll definitely be trying this, I'm hyped as all heck for it.

Oh I'll definitely be trying this, I'm hyped as all heck for it.
Awesome :)

Btw, I found a slight problem when adjusting noise scale values for setting up mini-empires landscapes. The generator snaps all XY-axis values to be multiples of 16, and prevents float values for the Z-axis, which can complicate creating small-scaled terrain. For the next update, I'll adjust the clamp ranges so you can set XY-axis values for ItrC to snap to the terrain brick size instead, and allow float values for the Z-axis. Here's a preview of what will be possible with the fixes:

You'll also be able to setup clouds, caves, biomes, details, mountains and floating islands to generate for them.

Testing would be more efficient if there was a definitive list of things that are supposed to be functional currently.

I have a list on the bottom of the OP that shows everything that still needs to be fixed / included, which I'll be updating every few days or so as progress is made. For the Alpha, I mainly want to test core functions of the generator, not the other features just yet - such as chunk saving and loading, limits, finite / infinite routines, dedicated server support, etc. As the add-on moves into Beta stage, then I could use help in testing everything else.

Finally I got to test the latest Alpha version and...
Nice work! The terrain generation was rather smooth, I like the seeds idea, and GUIs were rather easy to figure out.

Just one question, idk if I read it right but; is the Preview GUI functioning yet? I can't seem to get it to work, so I'm assuming it's not in the latest build.

Is there someway i can make it in to desert mountains?

Finally I got to test the latest Alpha version and...
Nice work! The terrain generation was rather smooth, I like the seeds idea, and GUIs were rather easy to figure out.

Just one question, idk if I read it right but; is the Preview GUI functioning yet? I can't seem to get it to work, so I'm assuming it's not in the latest build.
Thanks! I'm glad you found the GUIs easy to use, that's was a major complaint from the last version. And previewing hasn't been added yet, but should be included with the next update.

Is there someway i can make it in to desert mountains?
You mean when I host the generator on my server? There's no way to enter mountains, but sometimes caves will carve into them, which allows you to enter mountains to some extent.