Author Topic: I got a few gifts from my IT internship...  (Read 1695 times)

so i currently work at an IT firm that distributes cloud hosting and other neato stuff around tucson. working as an intern through a microsoft academy program

anyway, there was this awesome guy there who i became really good friends with almost immediately. began helping him with his virus cleanup sessions and stuff, automating the entire thing in a nice program i'm still in the process of writing. he heard me talking to another coworker about webservers when he started telling me how the company just replaced their servers and the secretary was taking them out to recycling. he saw her and decided to take them home instead... where he fixed them all up and made them basically ready for use.

then they sat there for about two years, completely untouched.

anyway, he said he could give me one. i've been looking at servers for a while now, so i freaked the forget out and said hell yeah. the next day, he came in and said he's got stuff in the back of his car for me.

three goddamn servers. for free. yeah, they're a little outdated, but. free. oh, and he gave me some spare parts, too

SICK LOOT:
Servers:
1x HP ProLiant DL120 G6
1x HP ProLiant DL360 G6
1x HP ProLiant DL385 G5

Parts:
2x HP 72GB server HDDs for the big DL385 G5
2x 2GB RAM sticks
1x Intel Xeon X5550 Processor
1x 256MB cache RAID controller as well as some expensive as hell backup battery module by HP
1x LSI SAS-3801E External 3GB/s Mini SAS Host Bus Adapter

i did the math, and the entire package came out to be a little more than $4,000. for free. AND i'm getting paid another $1000 in a week. what the hell?

pic of the servers, excuse my gnarly-ass hairy hat, my cat got to it and i was too lazy to get up:

the best part? i don't even know what to do with this much server power. these things were meant for a small business. they work, too! we tested them out in our workshop. one's currently got windows server on it (the big one), another has some linux distro that i forgot and the final one has nothing on it for now.

i'm going to college, so my options are to set it up at the house and just make routine visits on the weekends and hope my parents don't get pissy because these are loud, store them for a year until i move into an apartment and then build a server rack, or sell some and get some phat staxx. $$$$$

(that bottom one is worth like $2k)

of course none of the cords were included, and i know some of those can be expensive as fuk :cookieMonster: welp

what should i do with them, blf? right now they're just hoggin up my corner

you are so lucky

so

lucky

one's currently got windows server on it
replace it with debian

i was recommended CentOS
well you have three, so try both and decide what you like more
just not windows

also what kind of internship lasts two years? jesus

well you have three, so try both and decide what you like more
just not windows
alright, i've used debian before so :cookieMonster:

also what kind of internship lasts two years? jesus
hahaha nah my internship didn't last two years, only two months and i'm finishing next week

the servers were going to be canned two years ago but my coworker (who is the IT director at the firm) saved them from being recycled and stored them at his house for two years, hoping he'd find a use for them

Lucky forget, that's a nice bunch of servers...

i found like 15-20 functional keyboards being thrown out of my mom's office. they were replacing them all (along with the monitors) but damn thats like $400 worth of them

i took them all up and TBH i don't even know what i'll do with them. i could sell them but i've just been keeping them like a hoarder

i found like 15-20 functional keyboards being thrown out of my mom's office. they were replacing them all (along with the monitors) but damn thats like $400 worth of them

i took them all up and TBH i don't even know what i'll do with them. i could sell them but i've just been keeping them like a hoarder

Hack 20x faster with all of them  :cookieMonster:

have fun hosting blockland servers on it

nice! you still have all of them? well hey now you can be freely destructive with your keyboards and never have to worry

i don't get it?

Be like a stereotypical movie hacker having multiple keyboards just pretending to type stuff in.

i don't get it?
you have 20 keyboards which means you can type in hacky codes 20x faster duHHH