Author Topic: Got a new GPU yesterday  (Read 1583 times)

Yesterday, the fan on my GTX 760 broke, rendering it a big useless chunk of plastic and electronics since it gets hot and overheats VERY quickly without a fan, even just casually browsing the internet and not doing anything intensive. Since I couldn't find a replacement fan or parts to repair it at my local electronics/computer store, I got a new GPU, a GTX 960. The installation was seamless and easy, I don't think I even had to install new drivers! It runs a LOT cooler than my old GTX 760. Let me compare them.
Just casually browsing the internet, with the side of my computer case off, with the fan at 100%, my GTX 760 idled at about 45-55C, but with my GTX 960, with the side of my computer case ON, with the fan COMPLETELY OFF (GPUTweak says it's set to 0% fan speed with the fans (it's got two fans!) going at 0RPM) it idles at about 35-45C. A big improvement, as you can probably tell.
Here's the exact card I got, a STRIX GTX 960.
I haven't completely given up on the GTX 760 however, I'm still trying to find a fan that will fit, but that is probably a lost cause since the plug on the 760 for the fan is nonstandard.

with the side of my computer case off
please don't
This doesn't solve anything cooling wise and just makes it easier for dust to get in
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 01:39:44 PM by Headcrab Zombie »

please don't
the 760 ran cooler with the side off than with it on, but my 960 actually runs cooler with it on

This doesn't solve anything cooling wise
It depends on the scenario, if the ventilation inside the case isn't good enough then taking it off does help keep the components cooler.

It especially helps if you are doing intensive work that's strenuous on your components, in many situations the case fan doesn't pull hot air out fast enough to keep the temperature inside the case as cool as the room temperature, making it harder for the fans inside the computer to cool the components.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 01:53:08 PM by General »

if the ventilation inside the case isn't good enough then taking it off does help keep the components cooler.
Yeah but you're better off fixing the ventilation problem

please don't
This doesn't solve anything cooling wise and just makes it easier for dust to get in

Yeah but you're better off fixing the ventilation problem

This

Lucky you, I still can't get my 960 to work with drivers in a new build. What brand is it?

Yeah but you're better off fixing the ventilation problem
Agreed, but I was referencing how you mentioned that it doesn't solve a heating problem when it actually does

I hope your 970 runs cool
Mine hits 80 and levels out, it wont let it go over 80, but the problem is it ALWAYS goes up to 80, no matter what I do.

Lucky you, I still can't get my 960 to work with drivers in a new build. What brand is it?
ASUS or STRIX or something, my PC is an ASUS if that matters.
I hope your 960 runs cool
Mine hits 80 and levels out, it wont let it go over 80, but the problem is it ALWAYS goes up to 80, no matter what I do.
my diagnosis: it's broken
also yeah, mine runs pretty cool. Never goes above 65C when playing BF4 at ultra, getting 60FPS.

ASUS or STRIX or something, my PC is an ASUS if that matters.my diagnosis: it's broken
also yeah, mine runs pretty cool. Never goes above 65C when playing BF4 at ultra, getting 60FPS.
why would it be broken
it runs everything fine and the fans are fine, it just refuses to actually use them above 1% until it hits 80. 

why would it be broken
it runs everything fine and the fans are fine, it just refuses to actually use them above 1% until it hits 80. 
...then use a fan manager? I use ASUS GPUTweak, you should try that.

...then use a fan manager? I use ASUS GPUTweak, you should try that.
i have but i don't see any point
80 isn't going to hurt it
no point in running extra software
its just weird that it runs that hot, my 7770 would never go over 60

Agreed, but I was referencing how you mentioned that it doesn't solve a heating problem when it actually does
That's not a solution, that's a workaround

GTX 760 > GTX 960
...
I don't think I even had to install new drivers!

but you shoulllllddddd