Poll

GTX 970 or R9 390? (1080p)

GTX 970
37 (84.1%)
R9 390
7 (15.9%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Author Topic: GTX 970 or R9 390? (1080p)  (Read 1771 times)

I am in the market for a new GPU to replace my GTX 760. I don't want to SLI for a couple of reasons, but mainly because I am short on wattage to do it safely (650w). Anyways, I game at 1080p and both cards seem to be about the same in terms of raw performance, and I plan to maybe OC a little... nothing too extreme. The thing that sticks out the most to me is is the 4gb (3.5gb) and 8gb vram difference in the cards. They cost around the same amount of money and statistically it makes sense that the 390 would be a better buy, but I never bought an AMD product before as I am a huge nVidia fanboy, so I can't personally speak on behalf of AMD for their quality and reliability but the 390 shows promise. What are your people's thoughts?

Okay I'll quickly explain Nvidia and Amd
  • AMD only use for graphics
  • Nvidia is an OpenGL

basically if you want go with those idm.

• Nvidia is an OpenGL
I don't even

Whats the date on the amd drivers for that 390

• Nvidia is an OpenGL
Uhhh, at least try to research the topic before just spewing out answers please.

I would go with a GTX 970 OP, I've had pretty good experiences when it comes to Nvidia cards (at least in my opinion, only owned a few amd cards). Reasons being better overall performance, driver compatibility, and a few extras like GeForce Experience and ShadowPlay thrown in.

• Nvidia is an OpenGL

wat

OT: probably the 970, there was a 970 in one of my friends builds, and I went over to his house to try it out and it did the job pretty damn well, for a good price too.

I really prefer AMD for their business practices relating to open source drivers but personally I believe the GTX 970 is the better card.

I really prefer AMD for their business practices relating to open source drivers but personally I believe the GTX 970 is the better card.
Ikr?!

I will never purchase another AMD product.

God I can't stand AMD

This.

And Nvidia has Gameworks which is used in a lot of games nowadays.

970 is looking like the winner so far but I'll leave this open in case someone still has something to say.

• Nvidia is an OpenGL

OT: Definitely go with the 970 if you have the cash. If you can, try and get one of the superclocked models.

r9 390 has more 4.5 more vram and is pretty much the same or better performance for the same price of a 970

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/3es3f7/thinking_of_getting_a_gtx_970_well_grab_an_r9_390/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9cKZiJw6Pk

edit: i just realized i basically quoted what op said so im going to say that i have a r9 290. it does exactly what you expect. it's not dead or anything. its not like its going to explode on me or anything its just works and really any other card should do the same.

basically; the 390 is slightly better than the 970. unless you have stuff like an nividia shield or play the witcher 3 or some horribly optimized game that was made for specifically nvidia, go get the 390
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 11:05:35 AM by Quote Story »