A updated Port Forwarding Tutorial

Author Topic: A updated Port Forwarding Tutorial  (Read 1280 times)

The Existing one is not that helpful now that many router's port forwarding setup has changed and then on the windows side of things (firewall, network settings) are very outdated.

Some things like "What to do if your using IPV6" or "what if I use a Static IP" Need to be added as well.

If someone could please update it would be greatly appreciated.

The idea is the same as always, just UIs have changed

The process of setting a static IP only changed as far as navigating to the IPv4 settings section.

If you consider the actual port forwarding process as "changed" then it will always be changed because each router will be sightly different. Every tutorial should be filled with "see your router manual for more"

IPv6 is mostly irrelevant to port forwarding because I've never seen/heard of an IPv6 only LAN. I've seen plenty with it sure, but not exclusively IPv6.

I'll most likely go through a bunch of tutorials like the prints one and just totally revamp them. But as Headcrab Zombie said nothing's really changed besides the UIs. Also I don't have a linksys router anymore so I'd need someone else to take the screenshots.

Does Blockland even support IPv6?
I have no idea how Torque handles that kind of networking stuff.

Does Blockland even support IPv6?
I have no idea how Torque handles that kind of networking stuff.
Blockland does not support IPv6, and I'm stumped because my router uses it by default.

Blockland does not support IPv6, and I'm stumped because my router uses it by default.
if you can't figure out how to find settings for that on your own, some generalized tutorial isn't gonna help you
what router do you have?

if you can't figure out how to find settings for that on your own, some generalized tutorial isn't gonna help you
what router do you have?
Its FiOS Gateway router, don't know the generic model that actiontec makes though.

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm
They even have a section on Blockland.
"Portforward Network Utilities, buy now for on $39.95"

Did you link me to the right place?

Its FiOS Gateway router, don't know the generic model that actiontec makes though.
there's gonna be a model number on a sticker somewhere, post that number

"Portforward Network Utilities, buy now for on $39.95"

Did you link me to the right place?
Did you see the close button in the top right corner

Did you see the close button in the top right corner
That wasn't an ad...

I literally went to the verizon section and thats what showed up.

That wasn't an ad...

I literally went to the verizon section and thats what showed up.
It's an ad for their own stuff. You just have to click close in the top right...

does anybody know if it's possible to bypass port forwarding?
ie, if i plug into the router with an Ethernet cord i'm guessing i'll still need the forward the ports?