Poll

Does it look good?

Very Good
Good
Okay
Bad
Very Bad

Author Topic: Trying out a new building style; Platescaping! How does it look?  (Read 1208 times)

This is my first try on platescaping. I think it looks a lot better than Modular Terrain, but you tell me. Does it look alright? I took a few screenshots of it.

And yes I will make it not float
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 05:38:58 PM by GMO Ferret »

its good for what it is
i would suggest adding more bumps to the terrain; see if you can mix up normal blocks and plates for a less-flat effect.

Aesthetically, it looks great. But how many bricks?

its good for what it is
i would suggest adding more bumps to the terrain; see if you can mix up normal blocks and plates for a less-flat effect.
I just don't know how I can do that without making those bricks really pop out, is all.

Aesthetically, it looks great. But how many bricks?
About 1500 not counting the cabin. I'm using mostly 8x8 plates and other ones as filler.

Yeah looks good but a bit too flat. Brick terrain is good for little areas, it's impossible for biggers maps anyway :(

Yeah looks good but a bit too flat. Brick terrain is good for little areas, it's impossible for biggers maps anyway :(
The map will be huge, this was just me testing it out. But I'd love to use normal bricks in there without making them pop out from the rest of the terrain.

The map will be huge, this was just me testing it out. But I'd love to use normal bricks in there without making them pop out from the rest of the terrain.
try adding a bit more verticality then. if you want to have bricks and plates, then use the bricks often. Make little ravines, rock faces, steep hills, etc to give it depth. When you use the bricks sparingly, it makes little spots that jut out from otherwise flat terrain. Give it multiple levels of height seperated by steep inclines and have parts that dip below ground level, otherwise you'll have mostly plain terrain.

Lookin' good so far. When ever I use this technique, I always build my creation suspended in the air, held together by invisible Mod-Ter bricks. That way, I could add a whole new level of detail, dipping hills, caves, and so on. The only downside to that method is you can't place certain bricks inside Mod-ter bricks. -_-