Author Topic: Flamethrower  (Read 1093 times)

(Yes I know it already exists but, it doesn't function the way I want and it is ancient.)

A flamethrower kinda like from tf2. I don't care for the design as long as it looks like a flamethrower and not an smg or some other weapon.

Features:
On hit engulfs enemy in flames
Initial contact (contact direct from flamethrower) 5% of the default player max health per second
Afterburn 2% of the default player max health per second
Afterburn lasts for 20 seconds unless extinguished
Events for extinguishing of afterburn
Afterburn stops in water
Mouse 2 with flamethrower fires air that blows out fire

you do realize that this flamethrower would kill in 10 seconds of constant, uninterrupted fire, right

like the gun kills from max health in less then one and a half

you do realize that this flamethrower would kill in 10 seconds of constant, uninterrupted fire, right

like the gun kills from max health in less then one and a half
I was thinking that because it has short range to the point where you can only be effective at point range that enemies could pick someone wielding it off before they can even get close, but now I realize that it is overpowered in the case of an ambush so maybe 1% on initial contact and .5% for afterburn.

i am saying that it is horrifically underpowered

i am saying that the default gun weapon kills in optimal circumstances in less then 2 seconds from however far you want and your flamethrower in optimal circumstances kills in 10 at point-blank 'please shoot me i am directly in your face' range

and that's optimal conditions, not even factoring in things like how in an actual fight its highly unlikely that your target is just going to forgetin stand there and get flamethrowered for 10 seconds so taking into account a human player dodging your attacks will make it take even longer to get a kill
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 05:41:09 PM by Bushido »

i am saying that it is horrifically underpowered

i am saying that the default gun weapon kills in optimal circumstances in less then 2 seconds from however far you want and your flamethrower in optimal circumstances kills in 10 at point-blank 'please shoot me i am directly in your face' range
I wouldn't be pairing it up with the gun and instead with weaker weapons

even then 10 seconds is entirely too long, even the team fortress flamethrower kills in like 3 in the most dire of circumstances

even then 10 seconds is entirely too long, even the team fortress flamethrower kills in like 3 in the most dire of circumstances
30% initial 15% afterburn

thats better but at 15% damage per second that means that hitting a target with the flamethrower is a 100% guaranteed kill regardless of whether you're actually still shooting him or not

which is not ok

20 seconds of afterburn is a pretty long time

i'd probably go with the current tf2 flamethrower + damage, but add in an afterburn

thats better but at 15% damage per second that means that hitting a target with the flamethrower is a 100% guaranteed kill regardless of whether you're actually still shooting him or not

which is not ok
What about 5%?

20 seconds * 5%/second -> 100% damage

20 seconds * 5%/second -> 100% damage
I'm fine with that but you also need to add in initial contact so I think my original idea of 2% works best

Assuming for 1 contact

30% plus 14 seconds of afterburn is 100% if after burn is 5%

this is a weird flamethrower

is there a delay between shots or something? normally how flamethrowers work is a ton of small projectiles being rapidly shot and do a small amount of damage
or do you want it to be one burst of fire, pause, another burst of fire? like the gun but with fire coming out instead