Author Topic: 2015/10/13 - The Forgettable Dungeon - Kickstarter complete $17,000 raised!  (Read 96188 times)

Just for sanity, you did play one of the earlier client only betas on the same windows 10 right?

yeah it worked just fine

yeah it worked just fine

Ok I have a few ideas, I'll pm you in a bit with a few exes that you can try.

Thanks for helping me with this, sorry for the trouble.

it's no problem
it is a beta after all :)

despite the availability of a steam forum us forumgoers still prefer to work things out on blf, lol

I forgot about the steam forum lol

this is much more of a direct way anyway

I just played a round and never had any problems. I'm on Windows 10.

oh, i thought this was gonna have more than the kickstarter demo

ah well, you're gonna add more to the beta as we go along right? also i think the default sound setting is a little wonky, i suggest making the music louder and the sounds softer

also sometimes youll be swinging at enemies and youll hit a scroll or potion and it'll fly on top of a wall and it's no longer accessible and ugh

maybe make items bounce off of short walls, or make them slide off? i don't know

I just played a round and never had any problems. I'm on Windows 10.

There's something going on, might be related to a combination of graphics cards and operating systems.

I forgot about the steam forum lol

this is much more of a direct way anyway

Forgot to ask, what graphics card do you have?

oh, i thought this was gonna have more than the kickstarter demo

ah well, you're gonna add more to the beta as we go along right? also i think the default sound setting is a little wonky, i suggest making the music louder and the sounds softer

also sometimes youll be swinging at enemies and youll hit a scroll or potion and it'll fly on top of a wall and it's no longer accessible and ugh

maybe make items bounce off of short walls, or make them slide off? i don't know

The original plan was to have more at beta launch, but I just wanted to get out the first windows and linux version. Things took a little longer than expected due to a few surprises creeping up.

My current plan is to rough out the worlds somewhat quickly then keep polishing as the beta goes on.

If you keep hitting scrolls or items they'll move or get collected, you can bounce them off a wall if stuck.

----

For anyone having crashing issues, please post what graphics card and OS type you're running.

The crash seems to be related to the steam overlay being injected into the game, so disabling the overlay may fix the crash.

I am on Mac so I guess I'll participate in the Mac beta later?

runs fine on my windows 10

There's something going on, might be related to a combination of graphics cards and operating systems.

For reference, I have AMD Radeon R5 series.

so does anyone want to get together and try 16 players on one server? I have college internet and can host if we can get some time set up

also, i noticed a bug where when you spectate someone else, your ranged equip info doesn't change to match theirs - you still see your dead body's equip.

another bug: can't type in a custom name when saving your sprite?? the only special thing i was doing before trying tos ave my sprite was alt tabbing in and out of the game, or using steam overlay

clicking "back" and going back into the editor doesn't fix this, even as far as the main menu
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 06:51:42 PM by Conan »

Will I be able to choose a name for the kickstater credits?
I don't want to use my real name.

skill4life asked that question earlier and i think the answer was yes

so does anyone want to get together and try 16 players on one server? I have college internet and can host if we can get some time set up

also, i noticed a bug where when you spectate someone else, your ranged equip info doesn't change to match theirs - you still see your dead body's equip.

another bug: can't type in a custom name when saving your sprite?? the only special thing i was doing before trying tos ave my sprite was alt tabbing in and out of the game, or using steam overlay

clicking "back" and going back into the editor doesn't fix this, even as far as the main menu

Thanks for the report.

Honestly I'm contemplating stripping down the spectating a bit so that it's easier to know that you're fully dead. Perhaps a completely different GUI would be helpful.

Sometimes when you alt tab or go into the steam overlay a key can get stuck preventing you from doing some actions. Can you save a name of the sprite under normally without issue?

Yeah, I'm going to be sending out a survey once I figure out the best way to collect some of the rewards.

----

For people having the steam freezing issue I have a total shot in the dark to try:

Open up your main.cs where the steam version is located, you can right click -> properties -> local files -> browse local. to find it.

replace

setFrameLimit( 16 );

with:

// setFrameLimit( 16 );

There's a slim chance that the way the frame limiter is implemented could be throttling the game, it's slim but I wanted to give you guys something to try.

Also ZestyPizza over on the Forgettable Dungeon steam forums found out that if you leave the frozen process running it'll eventually start:

Quote from: ZestyPizza
Having the hang on start issue that a few others are seeing. I've tried running from Steam, starting directly from the .exe, and starting the. exe from a command prompt (running as admin, just in case. UAC can get wonky sometimes I know).
All three ways seems to be spawning three instances of the Forgettabledungeon.exe process that sorta just hang there at 116k of memory usage each. These processes are not able to be force ended either.

No console.log file is created unfortunately, since I'd guess the game is stuck at initialization. There's also nothing shown in the windows application event logs, aside from one for Steam crashing if the game was started there.

I'm trying to get some info that's more concrete for you to go on.
Basic specs for this pc is Win7 with a GTX970 on a mid range Intel processor. I have three other PCs to try it on still, one with similar hardware/software so I'll update later with any further data I can gather and full specs.

EDIT:
Nevermind! I left the processes running the rest of the afternoon, tried running it from Steam again and now it works? I've got nothing on that one. Maybe the initialization was just taking way long and needed to chug for a few hours and now it's perfectly fine.

Others with the freezing issue try just leaving it for a while to see if it fixes itself eventually?