42nd Canadian General Election Megathread! Candidates! (LIBERALS WIN!)

Author Topic: 42nd Canadian General Election Megathread! Candidates! (LIBERALS WIN!)  (Read 4398 times)

GO OUT THERE AND VOTE!

THE LIBERALS HAVE WON A MAJORITY GOVERNMENT!

Not sure how many Canadians are on these forums, but for those who are, the 19th is a big day! It's the time for the federal election. Results will come in the evening in Ottawa time.

With early polling results placing the 3 major parties each in the 30% range, it's the closest election that's been had in decades.

Here's the list of candidates, and their political stances!

Former Prime Minister and leader of the Conservative Party: Stephen Harper

Stephen Harper has been the Prime Minister of canada for the past 3 elections and 9 years. Having had several scandals in his 9 years running the country some are beginning to wonder if he should be voted for again.

Political Stances
Economics wise, he's conservative and hasn't really changed anything. The economy has been relatively stable, no major hiccups as a direct result of his actions. He supports the Keystone XL pipeline.
Foreign policy wise, he reduced military spending to 1% of GDP. He sees the Israel as an almost heroic nation. Make of that what you will. Has sent troops in the Afghanistan war, Lybian civil war, and attacks against ISIL.
Socially, he's more left-leaning with a few sprinkles of right-wing. Fully supporting same-love marriages, universal healthcare, and the more left-leaning Canadian charter of rights and freedoms. On the right, he's openly supported the trans-pacific partnership, Bill C-51, and has been opposed to the wearing of niqabs during citizenship oaths.
Environmentally, he's very conservative. He's not made any efforts to curb greenhouse gas emissions.

Liberal Party Leader and Current Prime Minister: Justin Trudeau

Being one of the youngest leaders of a party ever, at only 43, some wonder if the son of former prime minister Pierre Trudeau has the political experience necessary to run a country. He's a fresh, relatively young candidate and has been gaining a lot of ground with the younger group in Canada.

Political Stances:
Economically, he's more left-leaning. He supports raising taxes on the rich and lowering taxes on the middle and lower classes. His plans on growing the economy through running a deficit have been brought to question, and even misquoted in Harper ads. He encouraged an increase of Canada's relief efforts after the 2010 Haiti earthquake, and sought more accessible immigration procedures for Haitians moving to Canada in the time of crCIA. He's stated support for the Trans-Pacific Partnership but scolded the secrecy surrounding the trade deal. He's also supported the Keystone XL Pipeline.
Foreign policy wise, he hasn't made many statements. I'm not sure what to put here except that he's probably not going to be waging big wars.
Socially, he's left-wing. He's made no statements on same-love marriage but has no plans on opposing it. He's strongly pro-choice, and for the legalization, taxing and regulation of marijuana sales. He's opposed Bill C-51.
Environmental wise, he's also more left leaning. He wants to introduce a carbon tax to help reduce emissions, among other things.

Leader of the New Democratic Party: Thomas Mulcair

With not a single federal election win under their belts, the New Democratic Party (or NDP) have made a surprising comeback in the past 10 years. However, with many questioning their current government of certain provinces, many are questioning their skills.

Political Stances:
Economically, Mulcair is very left-leaning, Supporting a $15/hr minimum wage country-wide and large tax hikes on the rich. He's also supported lowering the small business tax rate from 11% to 9% because they create "80% of all new jobs in this country," to undo tax cuts on corporations and cancel income splitting for two-parent households. He's also opposed to the Keystone XL Pipeline and the Trans-Pacific Partnership.
Foreign policy wise, he's also very left leaning. Mulcair believes that Canada can be a "positive force for peace, justice and respect for human rights around the world." He's been opposed to sending troops to fight ISIL, and is a firm supporter of Israel.
Socially, he's left-wing. He's adamantly pro-choice, even going as far as to state that if someone is not pro-choice that they will not be welcome to run in their party. Mulcair announced that an "an NDP government would launch a national public enquiry into missing and murdered aboriginal women within 100 days of taking office." He's strongly opposed to Bill C-51.
Environmentally, he's very left-wing. With plans to end all fossil fuel subsidiaries and put in place a cap-and-trade system on carbon emissions. He has also promised to reverse cuts to the environmental review processes, and return to "rigorous, science-based environmental impact assessments".

Minor runners for the Federal Election

Leader of the Green Party: Elizabeth May

Founded in 1983, the Green Party's main focus is, you guessed, environmental issues. Having gotten a whole 1 seat in parliament in the 2011 election, the Green Party has extremely little chance to win, given they don't have much recognition and were even barred from debates, although that doesn't stop a small minority for voting for them.

Political Stances:
Economically, left-leaning. A strong opposer of the Keystone XL Pipeline. Economic policies include reduced payroll and income taxes, increased taxes on
polluters, income splitting for families, a national childcare plan, cutting subsidies for industries that pollute, and closing foreign tax loopholes. A strong opposer of the Trans-Pacific Partnership.
Socially, also very left-wing. One of their core principles is listed as "Social Justice," although what exactly that constitutes is up for debate. Surprisingly, their leader Elizabeth is vague on her stance on abortion. May responded to a nun's question about her position on abortion stating that, "I don't think a woman has a frivolous right to choose." "Nobody in their right mind," she told the nuns, "is for abortions. I've talked women out of having abortions. I would never have an abortion myself, not in a million years. I can't imagine the circumstances that would have ever induced me to it." In almost all other instances their party is decisively left. They've been strong supporters of an open and transparent government, strong opposers of Bill C-51, and for the legalization, taxation and regulation of Marijuana. They're also supporting labeling all GMO products.
Foreign policy wise, they're simply stated as non-violent. I think you get the idea.
Environmentally, you guessed it, they're very vocal about. They want to make many changes that would reduce the amount of carbon put into the atmosphere, some listed before as well as subsidy for public transit and environmentally friendly technology.

Leader of the Rhinoceros Party: Sébastien Corriveau (Yes, this is a real party)

Also known as the Second Rhinoceros party, this party is a satirical one, not meant to actually get elected. If they get elected, I swear to god I'll murder everything in sight. They've promised that, if elected, they will keep none of their promises.

If elected, the Rhinoceros Party of Canada has promised to:
  • Repeal the law of gravity
  • Promote higher education by building taller schools
  • Count the Thousand Islands to make sure the Americans didn’t steal any
  • Reform the retail lottery scheme by replacing cash prizes with Senate appointments
  • Seat the Queen of Canada in Buckingham, Quebec.
  • Nationalize Tim Horton's
  • Move the national capital to Kapuskasing, Ontario
  • Privatize the Canadian Army

Here's a current graph of opinion polls. Will post results of the election when they come out!

« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 03:41:21 PM by Ipquarx »

I would vote for the rhinoceros party

forget canada
richard

i've never actually looked into the politics of other countries... this is pretty interesting

I WAS ABOUT TO MAKE THIS THREAD

Hope you guys don't get Harper again.

Hope you guys don't get Harper again.
please invade canada if we do

If you get Harper, we'll probably get Annoying Orange, so I can see it happening.

why dont we take canada
and push it away from harper

I like the conservatives but I'm not entirely fond of Harper

Liberals are ok and I'm fine with them getting into power (I'm not fond of Trudeau either for some reason)

NDP is interesting but I'm not entirely sure about them

I can't even vote yet so I can't really do much though :(
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 10:50:59 PM by Badger »

What's bill C-51?

EDIT: Went to Wikipedia, judging from the article it reminded me of the U.S.A. P.A.T.R.I.O.T. Act
canada is irrelevant
you live in americanada
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 10:56:20 PM by WaterOre »

What's bill C-51?
Anti-terrorism/mass surveillance bill brought on by conservatives as a result of the parliament shooting in late 2014.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/gunman-kills-canadian-soldier-opens-fire-inside-parliament-in-downtown-ottawa/2014/10/22/49a4ca3e-5a23-11e4-b812-38518ae74c67_story.html

I like the conservatives but I'm not entirely fond of Harper
Liberals are ok and I'm fine with them getting into power (I'm not fond of Trudeau either for some reason)
NDP is interesting but I'm not entirely sure about them
They all have their pros and cons, but hey, at least we don't have any real crazy people running!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 10:56:02 PM by Ipquarx »

C-51 is unnecessary but I haven't seen it abused yet

when it is then it'll probably be amended, to be honest I don't care if the government is watching me - they have millions of other people to sift through on data and it's not like they're going to single you out