Author Topic: Youtube Red. Yay or Nay?  (Read 2200 times)

Basically, Youtube Red is a monthly subscription that "supposedly" helps out youtube creators and you can watch videos offline and switch apps and some other features in the article below.

http://youtube-global.blogspot.com/2015/10/red.html

How does BLF feel about this?

(If someone already posted about this just tell me and I'll lock this thread.)

as an app, w/e. i already watch ad free youtube videos, i already multitask while listening to youtube videos, and i already watch youtube videos offline.

i think the more important issue is how this actually effects content creators.

you can download adblock and you can also download youtube videos. how is this going to help for 10 dollars a month?

ok this sounds cool and all if the creators get like 90% of the money minimum (but how would they distribute it?)

but like
"play videos in the background" being one of these perks??
that is garbage. that's plain trash. trying to make people pay for what should be called a bug fix

Oh great! Now I can pay to watch pewdiepie scream? Sign me up! /s

you can download adblock and you can also download youtube videos. how is this going to help for 10 dollars a month?

RIP Youtube 2005-2015

Best Users:
SammyClassicSonicFan
ChristanU2uber
Pewdiepie
super minecraft kid

google ruins everything it touches.

Yeah you can block ads already but you're not helping provide for the people who are making the videos you're watching.
This basically lets you help out the content creators you watch without having to see ads.
Basically if you don't want to be a complete leech you can get RED and do everything normally and not be a leech.

but how would they distribute it?
They distribute it by minutes watched.

Literally it doesn't change anything for content creators or yourselves.

RedTube?
yeah and that's already better

you're not gonna want to multitask and the ads are all hilarious

This is a hilarious attempt to monetize Youtube that seems like it was thought up in 2009, then dusted off and put into use now because lodsemone.

It's based off removing ads, which we can already do, the ability to watch videos offline, which we can already do by downloading them from basically tons of sites at this point, a fancy version of autoplay that's for music, which we already have alternatives for like Pandora or Spotify(google really came far too late to the market on that one), and the only feature that might actually generate them money, exclusive 'content'(see: youtube partner videos, most likely) that splits the community between those who pay, those who don't, and those who get tired of Youtube's stuff once and for all, and try to find/make an alternative.

Get your head out of your ass, Google.

youtube red, redtube you

https://youtu.be/2v3i5pRmqI4

John green kinda summarises it the best. I just dislike the whole sectioned off portion from creators. Might aswell just have a private screening for the viewers who pay then in a month release it for everyone else. Plus, you're better off using patreon or the channels merch to actually support them.