Programming Megathread

Author Topic: Programming Megathread  (Read 105476 times)

is brainforget the weird homeless drug addict in the street too

Unreal Script might have have one of the worst string libraries ever. Absolutely mind blowing that I have to implement my own strpos function in a games scripting language.

On top of a bad standard library, older versions of the Unreal engine are loaded with comical exploits. I found a way to get files loaded into anyone's System directory in pure Unreal Script. Kind of makes me scared to play UT and KF now >_>

is brainforget the weird homeless drug addict in the street too
No, that would be haskell. Brainforget would be the chaos mastermind kept in a cryo unit in an underground secret prison.

Unreal Script might have have one of the worst string libraries ever. Absolutely mind blowing that I have to implement my own strpos function in a games scripting language.

On top of a bad standard library, older versions of the Unreal engine are loaded with comical exploits. I found a way to get files loaded into anyone's System directory in pure Unreal Script. Kind of makes me scared to play UT and KF now >_>
That's forgeted.  Have you reported it to Unreal?

On an unrelated humorous note:

No, that would be haskell. Brainforget would be the chaos mastermind kept in a cryo unit in an underground secret prison.
Golang is the weird transgender friend you have that's a mix of every language

Golang is the weird transgender friend you have that's a mix of every language
lisp is )))))))))))))))))))))))))((((((((())))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

lisp is )))))))))))))))))))))))))((((((((())))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
< using lisp
we all know C++ is the only language that's acceptable... right?

< using lisp
we all know C++ is the only language that's acceptable... right?
and here i am, trying to figure out how programming languages even... work.

I tried starting with Javascript, failed.
Tried starting with C++, forgetin' failed.
I've tried starting with TorqueScript like 4 times before and failed,
and this time, I'm starting to get what's going on, but like half the stuff doesn't make sense.

How does this exist?
 where did it come from?

these two questions seem to hold me back since If I don't know where the variables are coming from (just to give an example.)
Then how the hell am I supposed to know where to get other variables should I need them?

and that's just the beginning.

and this time, I'm starting to get what's going on, but like half the stuff doesn't make sense.

How does this exist?
 where did it come from?

these two questions seem to hold me back since If I don't know where the variables are coming from (just to give an example.)
Then how the hell am I supposed to know where to get other variables should I need them?

try something simple like python
Code: [Select]
blah = "hello"
print(blah)
also if you're talking about function declarations it's supposed to only accept those variables that you put in
so like
def hello(world):
print(world)

hello("hello!", "aaa")
the second variable in that call would have no affect because the function isnt expecting it
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 04:27:26 PM by Metario »

That sounds more like Malbolge to me

Just for reference, here's Hello World in Malbolge:
Code: [Select]
(=<`#9]~6ZY32Vx/4Rs+0No-&Jk)"Fh}|Bcy?`=*z]Kw%oG4UUS0/@-ejc(:'8dc
Yes, there's a space at the start. Yes, it's on purpose. No, you can't get rid of it.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 04:44:18 PM by Ipquarx »

How does this exist?
 where did it come from?

i feel like you are trying to learn implementation dependant syntax and thats whats loving you over

for example if you just try to jump into torquescript for blockland you need to basically learn all the function names and stuff thats why we have documentation

you need to start at the basics like python, learn the syntax and structure and slowly build up

once you know HOW to program it won't matter WHAT you program in, because every programming language is different/has it's own libraries but you know what to do with them because you know HOW to program

online courses like codeacademy or others are good to get the gist of actual syntax and how to think and solve problems so you can write code for it

ok so im asking for everybodys opinion on this
(theoretically)
we have a client, cl, two servers, point a and point b, and a cdn. the two servers have been patched to not post to master server, but instead authenticate only. point c (or cdn) is the actual place we want clients to connect to, so we'll have it authenticate that way. lets assume cl tries to connect. he'll first connect to the cdn, who can understand the packets hes sending. we will send an PING request to point a and point b. depending on which servers are up, it'll route the connection to the most favorable. and if one server goes down, it'll play a prerecorded event that will tell all clients to disconnect and reconnect. in that split second, the server modifys the routes, changing the packet routing dest from point a to point b. vice versa.
whats your ideas on this because i want to make a seamless transition between servers and maybe have a sort of hub server where you can connect to other servers via it

I mean I know this is basically what a router does but I'm thinking more of on a larger scale, and since we'd be doing this in tork I could steal the netcode and use it to listen on our ports. Especially for servers like (((Jew Years))) where server crashes are often, I'd like to know if it's actually possible

also I have a headache so if you don't understand it now I'll try and explain it more in the morning
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 01:53:35 AM by Metario »