Author Topic: "Your mission should you choose to accept it..."  (Read 1815 times)

This is a game concept that has been bouncing around in my head.

Basically, everyone in the game receives a mission. If they complete their objective they will receive points.
For example, a player might receive a mission to deliver a package or find a hidden item.

Of course the fun starts when missions conflict.
For example, one player's mission will be to guard a diamond, while another player's mission will be to steal the diamond.

Or a mission might just be kill someone.

This concept is similar to bounty hunter, except it's not limited to just killing.

Thoughts:
-The missions will likely have some kind of timer. Not sure if it should be "Everyone has 5 minutes to complete their mission" or if everyone gets their own personal timer based on mission difficulty.
-Some missions might have a dependency on each other such as the diamond guard and thief where the absence of one will make the other pointless.
-Harder missions will probably earn more points than easier ones, but how would I decide this scale?
-Should you be allowed to refuse a mission?
-If you die do you immediately fail the mission?
-How to deal with RDMers?
-Mission Modifiers: For example, disabled chat, small, large, horse

Mission ideas:
  • Kill player X
  • Get to point Y
  • Protect X
  • Get X
  • Get X and get to Y
  • Touch/Click someone with this mission
  • Ride in vehicle Y
  • Destroy vehicle Y
  • Die from fall damage

I'd like some input from the community. Post about your opinion of this gamemode, ideas of missions, or thoughts that will need to be clarified.

Call it "Contractor" or something and frame the missions as random contracts from nameless clients?

Thoughts:
-The missions will likely have some kind of timer. Not sure if it should be "Everyone has 5 minutes to complete their mission" or if everyone gets their own personal timer based on mission difficulty.
a timer based on difficulty seems better, should be until you die if you have to kill someone tho
-Some missions might have a dependency on each other such as the diamond guard and thief where the absence of one will make the other pointless.
diamonds should have an automated defense system that only disables if there's both a guard and a thief
-Harder missions will probably earn more points than easier ones, but how would I decide this scale?
give each player 3 or so missions that range from easy to hard?
-Should you be allowed to refuse a mission?
above statement, but you could ask for another list
-If you die do you immediately fail the mission?
depends, if you die from something that doesn't relate to your mission (i.e; delivering object, someone randomly shoots you) no*
-How to deal with RDMers?
pretty sure bounty hunter has an auto-ban for rdmers
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 12:28:59 AM by Obliviongate20 »

if killing a player is one of many missions, then only that target needs to be damage-able. just parent the damage function to check if the player is hurting his target

otherwise it seems like you got a solid plan for a potentially good gamemode laid out

a timer based on difficulty seems better

give each player 3 or so missions that range from easy to hard?
This implies that the player will have to select their mission beforehand. Having 3 mission options on the screen at once may get in the way. If there were 3, each would require a separate timer.

Quote from: Obliviongate20
but you could ask for another listdepends
The problem with asking is players could just refresh the list until they get something better.
Maybe theres only a limited amount of refreshes per game.

It would be funny if one player's mission was to protect another another player, but that player's mission was to kill themselves
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 12:45:05 AM by Whirlwind~ »

This implies that the player will have to select their mission beforehand. Having 3 mission options on the screen at once may get in the way. If there were 3, each would require a separate timer.
The problem with asking is players could just refresh the list until they get something better.
Maybe theres only a limited amount of refreshes per game.
just force them to take the given mission, but have it reset on death. so if players really dont want to, they can take the Self Delete penalty and hopefully get a better mission

me and a few friends tried something similar to this, but in singleplayer. We gave up because of lack of interest

Do it.
Also if you die, you fail the mission. Period.
Excess RDM will result in a ban, etc.

I kinda wanted to do something like this before with Event_Quests

This sounds like a neat idea

pretty sure bounty hunter has an auto-ban for rdmers
If you're going to resort to autobanning, you have to make sure the system is really smart.
I.e., no "oh, sorry, that guy that you just killed that was spamming click while running towards the diamond you're trying to protect wasn't actually the guy who was stealing it"

Just have an open map, 1 life, 5 minute timer. Complete your mission before the timer runs out/you die.

When you die you can go to a lobby or spectate.

Have most missions "Kill player X without doing any other damage to other players, or you fail." If you kill other players you die yourself and get a warning. Next time it's a ban.

Or steal an emerald without killing anyone.
Only kill emerald guard, then steal it. blah blah

Don't resort to auto banning.
Try to make it impossible for the player to do something illegal.
This is where good game design begins.

If you can code a little then you can make certain players only damageable by those with a mission about damaging that player.

But I like this idea.
I'll see if I can think up some more missions.
They should be as entwined as possible.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 02:51:36 PM by honytawk »

Don't resort to auto banning.
Try to make it impossible for the player to do something illegal.
This is where good game design begins.

If you can code a little then you can make certain players only damageable by those with a mission about damaging that player.

But I like this idea.
I'll see if I can think up some more missions.
They should be as entwined as possible.
I feel like mission with "Kill player B" would just resort in person A just shoots everyone till he finds the right guy and makes it hardly challenging.