Twitch installs Arch Linux

Author Topic: Twitch installs Arch Linux  (Read 3902 times)

Aren't you the one who made the Twitch Plays Pokemon thread? Man, how times have changed, huh?
I tried to make one, but everyone just told me don't so I just closed it. I made like two and they were closed on their first day.

There was another one (that I didn't make) that was made on the first few days of the stream and ended around the beginning of PBR.

you don't see the point in anything other than video games? that's definitely an interesting take on life
>twitch plays
go be a douche somewhere else

this obviously isn't a game so i don't see the point
Don't be a loving wankrag you damp cunt.

This is about experimenting with how Twitch audiences can cooperate together to achieve a goal. That is almost literally the definition of "playing". Just because it's not a game doesn't mean it's not valid. I actually think this is 100x more interesting than previous Twitch experiments.

>twitch plays
what? the title very clearly says "installs," not "plays"
go be a douche somewhere else
you came into this thread just to let everyone know that you don't care about it

what? the title very clearly says "installs," not "plays"
text-based horror game, so it's not a game? i literally only asked for clarification because i wasn't sure if it was meant in terms of a literal video game, or comparable to our "forum games" given that context, but i guess McJob touched up on that for me
you came into this thread just to let everyone know that you don't care about it
again... all i asked was "someone explain" and that's it, adding the "you probably didn't read" part added nothing significant at all to your post other than you sounding like a complete douche. don't bother responding, as i won't be replying. no need to derail anyways

The game is the stream itself. Thousands of people all trying to install Arch Linux on a VM. It's fun.

Imagine them trying to use vi(m)
i know vi(m) is a text editor for linux but whats so special about it
i never understood that

i know vi(m) is a text editor for linux but whats so special about it
i never understood that
it's available for many systems, not just linux, but it's hard to use. vim evangelists will tell you that it's not, it just takes practice or whatever, but it is. it's completely unintuitive
there are modes. command mode, insertion mode, and something else I don't remember. it's all very convoluted, and you would do better to look it up on wikipedia than listen to me try to explain it
emacs is the same way

also to be clear, "vi(m)" is not one thing. there are two programs: vi, and vim. vim is "vi improved"
I'm not sure what the differences are

The part that sucks is eventually there will be a group of people trying to make linux eat itself , I doubt you can do this during the install but there will be pain.

Imagine having needles pierced into you every second.
Now imagine having this on "anarchy" mode.

The part that sucks is eventually there will be a group of people trying to make linux eat itself , I doubt you can do this during the install but there will be pain.
It's one of the twitchdoesthing that has the whole "voting for input" stuff. So it's basically just going to be people installing arch linux, and to no surprise, probably doing it right.

It's one of the twitchdoesthing that has the whole "voting for input" stuff. So it's basically just going to be people installing arch linux, and to no surprise, probably doing it right.

someone don't know about "raids" and "purposely trying to ruin everything"

it's available for many systems, not just linux, but it's hard to use. vim evangelists will tell you that it's not, it just takes practice or whatever, but it is. it's completely unintuitive
there are modes. command mode, insertion mode, and something else I don't remember. it's all very convoluted, and you would do better to look it up on wikipedia than listen to me try to explain it
emacs is the same way

also to be clear, "vi(m)" is not one thing. there are two programs: vi, and vim. vim is "vi improved"

Just use nano and save yourself a headache

emacs is the same way

IIRC Emacs works like a normal text editor. No modal editing, just a lot of keyboard shortcuts using modifiers.
I don't think Vi(m) is hard to use, its just hard to get started with. I've been using it for a while and now I don't know how I lived without it.

Just use nano and save yourself a headache
nano is essentially the notepad of Linux. Lots of people use it and have no problem with it while others prefer more advanced alternatives. It's all preference.

So they're (possibly) giving 500k+ anon viewers access to a linux machine...