Author Topic: H.M.S. Surprise (Rose) WIP  (Read 4449 times)

A build of the H.M.S. Surprise, seen in the movie/ book "Master and Commander"
Length in studs: 180
Real life length: 179.5 Feet
Current Hull Design

Any help, criticism, or help would be greatly appreciated on what I have so far
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 12:17:50 AM by 8hbc »

594 studs long is absolutely HUGE considering it's only 179 feet.
if we are to compare the height of a blockhead to the height of a IRL person, a meter in blockland is somewhere in the ballpark of 3 to 4 studs in length. this means a 6x height cieling is around 2 meters in height (depending on how you measure it), which is a comfortable standard for blockheads.
knowing that, a 594-stud long ship would be between 148 to 198 meters in length, or 485 - 649 feet, which is around THREE TIMES as big as the original ship you are basing this build on.

i'd simply advise you to be careful when it comes to scaling, because otherwise the blockheads are gonna look super tiny on this ship if you are building it to the same proportions for windows, doors, decks and stairs. it'd be like alice in wonderland. If you continue building it at a ~600 stud length scale, it's going to be very difficult for players to really navigate the build without being supersized to fit in the huge doorways and openings (unless you plan on making the actual ship interior simply of your own custom design that fits blockheads, which would be cool but would also be very inaccurate in respect to the size of the actual ship).

i've done some calculations, and here are some ballpark ranges for a more appropiate length of your ship when scaling to blockheads in blockland.
Your vessel would be 54.7 meters in length (rounded to the nearest tenth) when converted to metric from its real life length of 179.5'. When it comes to a 3-4 stud length meter ballpark, that would mean your ship would scale well with blockheads when built between 164 - 219 studs in length. I'd personally recommend building it at 219 studs length because that's generally going to both allow the build to be big enough for blockheads to have plenty of cieling space, while also not being TOO big.

Hope this helps. Scaling is a big issue for me myself when I build Star Trek ships.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 11:41:48 PM by Planr »

594 studs long is absolutely HUGE considering it's only 179 feet.
if we are to compare the height of a blockhead to the height of a IRL person, a meter in blockland is somewhere in the ballpark of 3 to 4 studs in length. this means a 6x height cieling is around 2 meters in height (depending on how you measure it), which is a comfortable standard for blockheads.
knowing that, a 594-stud long ship would be between 148 to 198 meters in length, or 485 - 649 feet, which is around THREE TIMES as big as the original ship you are basing this build on.
Thanks!
I had made it this large because blockheads are chubbier and shorter than humans, so I made it longer to compensate for the smaller space they would have. And I have no clue how to scale feet into studs. It just seems a bit cramped building things to scale.
I'll try to re-scale it to  179 studs.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 11:40:08 AM by 8hbc »

Thanks!
I had made it this large because blockheads are chubbier and shorter than humans, so I made it longer to compensate for the smaller space they would have. And I have no clue how to scale feet into studs. It just seems a bit cramped building things to scale.
I'll try to re-scale it. How does ≈ 250 in length sound?
250 stud length would work alright I guess. it'd be a bit big but it'd still work okay for blockheads.

from what Ive seen, 1 stud is aproximately 1 blockhead feet

This is shown on rotondo's football ball when another player catches the ball

from what Ive seen, 1 stud is aproximately 1 blockhead feet

This is shown on rotondo's football ball when another player catches the ball
Indeed, and this supports the measurement estimates I gave, as 6 studs in length = a 5x height block, which = a slightly taller height than a blockhead. 6 feet converted into Meters is 1.829 meters, which is slightly taller than the average height of a human, thus making a blockhead's proportional height to a human roughly 1.8 meters. it all works out.

if 1 stud equals 1 foot, then a 179 stud long ship would work just about the best for 8hbc's ship. pretty interesting, lol.

I used 1 stud to 1 foot on titanic

That worked out wonderfully.

Didn't you also change how big the players were for walking around inside?

Didn't you also change how big the players were for walking around inside?

the scale was based on player height. I used a custom width because the players are super loving chunky compared to actual people

I've remade the ship again, this time with 179 studs in length.

I've remade the ship again, this time with 179 studs in length.
Awesome start!
Good luck on the project 8hbc

This size seems to be working better than I expected. Thanks for the input
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 12:38:23 AM by 8hbc »

Looks really nice now that you added the black and dirty gold together