[DATA] political issues and your stances on them - BORDER SECURITY, IMMIGRANTS

Author Topic: [DATA] political issues and your stances on them - BORDER SECURITY, IMMIGRANTS  (Read 10226 times)

Where do you stand on gun control? Do you support increased gun ownership restrictions, or less? Do you support the civilian ownership of fully automatic weapons?

I believe that people do have the right to bear arms, but on the same token, we require background checks and a balance of what a civilian should be carrying, because no civilian needs any ludicrous military grade weaponry. I don't believe the increase in restrictions are going to help, because either way criminals are going to break the law to get them easily. Fully automatic weaponry should only be restricted to less than ludicrous military grade weapons as I mentioned before. It requires some common sense and obviously the people in the state and fed just don't have it.

Where do you stand on drug policy? Do you support the decriminalization of drugs, or the continued prohibition on them? Do you support the illegal status of marijuana?

I'm on the fence, I understand that certain drugs are extremely bad and keeping them banned would pose no greater threat, however, I do believe that certain drugs are fine to have legal, but educate people on the effects in order to give people an educated decision later on. As I mentioned before, some drugs are meant to be criminalized because they outright to excessive harm to the body and people around the user. I get that alcohol can do the same thing, but alcohol in moderation is not a problem. Cigarettes takes the educational path, explain to people the effects in order to scare them away from the bloody things or they do it and you just say, "Welp it was your choice to ruin your body". Weed, that's where I get caught, I understand the medicinal purposes of it and I'm fine with its legalization, but people need to understand the effects.

Where do you stand on affirmative action programs? Do you support the use of affirmative action programs, or are you against the use of them? Do you support the concept of equal opportunity measures like these?

Short answer, any affirmative action policies that utilizes a quota system or immediately gives opportunities to unqualified people are bullstuff and need to be outright banned.

Long answer, this is another on the fence case with me. I've been okay with trying to promote equality by bending the rules and giving minorities a chance at an equal opportunity for a job or education. But it crosses the line when it surpasses those who are more qualified or just outright qualified for that position. I would get it if the person was black and had the same education and he was given a chance over the white equivalent. However, this is when the bullstuff starts culminating, you start getting under-qualified candidates who are minorities and give them the position just because they are a minority. For example, I work in IT, I've worked my butt off for 2 years in a trade school, with 10 hours per week put into those classes to get 2 certifications and the opportunity to do IT as a career. Well I decide to apply for Comp Tech Corp. in Somewhere, Anywhere, and they have affirmative action policies. There is a minority applicant who hasn't worked as hard as me, hasn't got the same certifications, but take him due to affirmative action. This is where merit starts to be lost when it comes to those types of things, I'm a person who believe highly in looking at the merits of a person when it comes to deciding their position. If they can prove to me that they can do the job better than the next person, then I want them. If you cry and say "That's tribal", I'll just pay no attention because the other candidates did not have the merit. Either way, people do require equal opportunity, but when it comes to merit, you better hope you can muster the ability to do your job and prove your worth.

As for gun control, I definitely have the "compromise" sort of view. Certain weapons, such as the Glocks that the police uses, are not available for civilian purchase, and this should be the same for certain types of guns that the US military uses.

I do think that people should have the right to own a gun. Certainly, people should be allowed to. However, it is important to remember that this amendment to the constitution was written when a gun could only fire , in most cases, one shot a minute. I really don't see the need for giant ass mega tacti-cool .50 cal machine guns being used... What, would you want to make your deer turn into swiss cheese? And how is that practical for self defense? inb4 "to defend your 'MURICAN way of life!!1!"

So yeah, let people own guns - but up to a certain extent. Telling people that they can't have certain magazine sizes obviously doesn't work because people can just make their own in their garage. And taking ALL guns away? Well, then you're only effecting law abiding citizens.

Also, one thing that irks me. People sometimes argue the whole, "We don't need guns! The police and military protect us!" card. But then, people often complain about police brutality and excessive force and unnecessary firepower. MAke up your minds people, or find a Henry Clay styled happy medium.

Does anyone else have that select set of people they are hoping won't see this topic
ya 90% of the community. Then i remember that 90% of the community can't vote and I feel safe again

ya 90% of the community. Then i remember that 90% of the community can't vote and I feel safe again

Woo! I'm the 10%!

I really don't see the need for giant ass mega tacti-cool .50 cal machine guns being used... What, would you want to make your deer turn into swiss cheese? And how is that practical for self defense? inb4 "to defend your 'MURICAN way of life!!1!"
Those are called range toys. Expensive guns that costs large amounts to maintain and fire and usually used for the sake of fun rather than self defense.

Weapons are categorized into various classes and given certain statuses. Anything that is fully automatic for example requires permit, ATF registration, and that the owner pay a hefty tax stamp. The same rules apply for anything that blows up, has a large barrel, ultra short barrel, fires a large caliber like 20mm or .50 bmg/rockets, or flames. I can't go down to the grocery store and buy an rpg-7 like I can a loaf of bread.

Woo! I'm the 10%!
Welcome to the '%10-of-the-forums-that-can-vote club'
Here's your sticker and balloon

guns should be restricted but accessible for legitimate causes. i think it would ultimately be more beneficial to address the underlying socioeconomic factors that lead to violent crime, but curbing access to guns is a nice bandage to put over the situation

drug use is a victimless crime; the only reason for the laws is to uphold a moral belief that is increasingly less prominent. some currently illegal drugs should be legalised in the same manner as other legal substances (alcohol, tobacco), namely marijuana. criminalising this activity is worthless and is costing us more money than it's worth. instead, the government could see some profit (and simultaneously discourage use) by enacting excise taxes on narcotics.

i've yet to come to a solid conclusion about affirmative action. i don't believe it's necessarily fair to ever design a system in such a way as to directly advantage one group over another, yet groups that are typically more greatly burdened need help somewhere, and it's more realistic to expect businesses to pick up the slack than it is to expect government to (unfortunately)

Gun Control
There are tons of laws in place as it is. A lot of people demand for background checks when there are already background checks in place. A lot of people don't seem to know much about fire arms how the work because. Because this people demand these far out or unnecessary laws in place despite there being similar more reasonable laws already in place.

Seriously read on how to guns and bullets work and also how class 1, class 2, and class 3 works before you say something.

Drugs
There is a lot more to drugs than meets the eyes. The war on drugs pretty much benefits everyone from private prisons to cartels. People also don't seem to realize how their purchase of weed of the street funds a larger enterprise. This enterprise includes human trafficking, arms smuggling, assassinations, and other forms of crime.

Legalizing weed would put a huge dent in the cartels. However they can still turn to producing and selling other types of drugs. Like technology and clothes, drugs are also trendy. Tomorrow some new form of drug could possibly hit the streets and replace the rest.

Affirmative action
Hire people based on their skills, merits, and what they can do rather than what they are.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 07:46:42 PM by Harm94 »

1. Weak opinion: both arguments have merits, but it is true that criminals will break gun laws either way. Then again, crime as acts of impulse would be prevented. They should be somewhat restricted, but not banned. However, I'm against automatic firearm ownership - there's no legitimate reason for owning one.

2. Pro-decriminalization for harmless drugs: drugs like marijuana, which have proven medical uses and are not addictive nor too unhealthy, they should be legalized. It would turn cannabis from a monetary drain (prison and the War on Drugs) to a monetary source (tax) and stop cartels. This does not apply to meth, cocaine, heroin, etc, because they're far too harmful and addictive for the public.

3. Very anti-affirmative action: Yeah, I have a lot to say about this. It's discrimination, and creating divides between race/religion/etc will increase hatred, not defuse it. Jobs should be based on merit alone.

1) I have a pro-gun control stance. I understand the reasons for having an anti-gun control stance, such as "good people with guns can stop gun crimes", but that reason can also apply just by having a stricter gun registration process. We should also include mental health and crime (certain crimes only) background checks. I do not support the civilian ownership of fully automatic weapons.

2) I have a pro-drug decriminalization stance for all drugs. From my view, some drugs are not any more harmful than alcohol when used in moderation (marijuana, MDMA, painkillers, LSD (mentally, it could be risky even in moderation, depending on things), etc.). However, there are some that are just too dangerous for me to respect (methamphetamine, heroin, cocaine, etc.). The only illegal drug I believe should be sold in shops and taxed is marijuana. The current illegal ones I believe may have medicinal use are marijuana, MDMA, and LSD. Putting an end to drug criminalization would also put an end to unreasonable spending on jailing innocent drug users and other things. And anyways, drug users aren't concerned about legalities for the most part, so it would most likely not make much of a difference in terms of drug usage percent. More drug rehabilitation centers should open, so families that are concerned about a loved one's drug use can have him go to the center. Also, I believe marijuana should be sold in shops nationwide and taxed.

3) This is the one I'm on the edge about. I'm leaning towards having an anti-affirmative action stance, and my only reason for it being that it favors people more on race/religion than on pure ability for the said job. However, I can see the social benefits of affirmative action, and more integration. Not too much else I can say on this...

1. get rid of all guns except pistols, increase background checks and mental health tests (pls don't hate)

2. get rid of all drug bans except dangerous ones (meth, heroine, cocaine)

3. i'm not sure
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 07:58:01 PM by Lurker »

the war on drugs should focus on the hard drugs like heroin or cocaine. i live in a city where heroin deaths are at it's peak, i hear about a few overdoses from it everyday. it's pretty terrifying that more stuff isn't done about it. also, marijuana is still a schedule 1 drug, and is listed as the number one most dangerous drug according to the dea regardless of scientific data proving otherwise.

1. get rid of all guns except pistols,
More murders are done with pisols.

OT:

1. Invest in more background checks, mental screenings, ect. Guns should not be banned, however.

2. All dangerous drugs are banned. Keep it that way.

3. It doesn't matter if you're white, black, Latino, Asian, ect, you will be treated the same.

If all dangerous drugs were banned all drugs would be banned