Bitcoin Rigs Discussion

Author Topic: Bitcoin Rigs Discussion  (Read 3317 times)

I don't understand this part of Bitcoin, the rest is golden to me. Are these math problems going towards anything, or is it just an arbitrary way of limiting the amount of bitcoin that can be "created" at any time?
They're not actually "math" problems. If you want to get technical (if I'm wrong on this someone please correct me), they're trying to find values x for which sha256(x) has a certain number of leading zero bits. like for example, the output could be:
00 00 00 df 46 23 09 26 84 ad 36 80 26 90 dc f2
e5 e5 81 31 94 31 0c ba 64 82 1b 01 b4 bb b9 aa

which has a total of 24 leading zero bits.

And it's no different than the Fiat money we currently use. Pieces of paper with no gold backing doesn't have any real value, yet everyone agrees they do have value. This is no different.

The only difference is Bitcoin is untraceable and secure. I'm not sure about the technical details but there's a proof-of-work system in place that ensures you can verify that someone has the number of bitcoins they're claiming to have, and ensures that you can have your bitcoins verified without actually having to give them up.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 03:52:11 PM by Ipquarx »

In doges i earn about 400 dollars a month. Running 24/7
It technically is a huge profit from when i built it, but its not big money lol.
But the 750ti is pretty power efficient, even the long cards.

How much would a good enough processor be for Dogecoin mining? Also $400 is fairly nice, however you would also have to factor in electricity costs too, I'd assume.

So, how long till this stuff pays for itself?
5, 10 years?

How much would a good enough processor be for Dogecoin mining? Also $400 is fairly nice, however you would also have to factor in electricity costs too, I'd assume.
If you buy an expensive rig to farm cryptocurrency, generally you won't be able to earn your money back.

The way these things work is that the 'difficulty' of each block of dogecoin, litecoin, bitcoin, etc goes up as each block is mined. This is done intentionally so that the maximum amount of cryptocurrency available is capped. Thus, your profit margins decay significantly over time.

So, how long till this stuff pays for itself?
5, 10 years?
Depends on the cryptocurrency and how fast the difficulty is increasing. Right now it is essentially impossible to buy an expensive bitcoin mining rig and make a return off of it.

I remember when bitcoin mining was new and I mined for a few days before thinking "nah this'll never catch on."
What a dumb move.

Depends on the cryptocurrency and how fast the difficulty is increasing. Right now it is essentially impossible to buy an expensive bitcoin mining rig and make a return off of it.

Wonder how much the OP put into that rig of his.

If you buy an expensive rig to farm cryptocurrency, generally you won't be able to earn your money back.

The way these things work is that the 'difficulty' of each block of dogecoin, litecoin, bitcoin, etc goes up as each block is mined. This is done intentionally so that the maximum amount of cryptocurrency available is capped. Thus, your profit margins decay significantly over time.

Wow that really sucks, is there still a way to make a profit using a rig for mining other currencies beside BTC? I know there are several other recognized ones which aren't as known as LTC, DGC or BTC. Think I could make a profit mining other things? Would the price I'd be paying for a rig pay off if I were to focus with smaller cryptocurrencies?

Wow that really sucks, is there still a way to make a profit using a rig for mining other currencies beside BTC?
Probably, but you'd have to factor in stuff like the volatility of the currency you're mining (how prone it is to changing dramatically), the rate at which the difficulty increases, and how many watt-hours you're investing per unit of currency you mine.

Wonder how much the OP put into that rig of his.
Bitcoin difficulty increases at such a rate that the profitability of those miners goes down 25% per month. Back when USB miners first came out, people did the math and found that they're basically impossible to break-even with. That was years ago.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing to buy one of these things as a hobby project. It actually looks kind of neat. But as a way of making money? Impossible.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 08:46:32 PM by SeventhSandwich »

Paper money can fall under this just as easily. Even as a physical object its pretty worthless. Gold and Silver on the otherhand have a universal understanding of having "value" though, even if it's worthless without a stable economy. Your money, paper or not paper is fiat and its one of the worst scams in history.
I didn't know how to phrase it, but I know that UK currency is technically based on the gold in the Bank of England.
My £5 note is actually a promise from the bank that they owe me £5 worth of gold. When I trade my £5 note for an item I am technically trading them the banks promise of gold to that value.

In that sense my banknotes and coins technically have a physical object of worth behind them.
But as Otis said, worth of anything is arbitrary.
I just find it interesting that unlike most other things of worth, there is no physical aspect to cryptocurrencies at all. Ultimately I can hoard gold, or cash, or oil, or food, but I'll never store cryptocurrency in a vault.
That's not bad at all, it's just interesting to me that it exists. I understand its uses however.

what's the going exchange rate from blockland coins to bitcoins these days?

I didn't know how to phrase it, but I know that UK currency is technically based on the gold in the Bank of England.
My £5 note is actually a promise from the bank that they owe me £5 worth of gold. When I trade my £5 note for an item I am technically trading them the banks promise of gold to that value.

England dropped the gold standard in 1931...

US dollar was pretty much backed by the same concept. It was a note for an IOU. Then we dropped the gold standard. Government promises at their finest! I'm also pretty sure the UK did the same.

Huh, I didn't know that. Now I feel proper silly.
I was taught that it was still based on our Gold Reserves by my history teacher in school, but I guess he had it wrong.

Our notes still have the line "I promise to pay the bearer on demand the sum of...", which I was told was evidence that the notes could be exchanged for gold, but I suppose it's just there as tradition now.

Huh, I didn't know that. Now I feel proper silly.
I was taught that it was still based on our Gold Reserves by my history teacher in school, but I guess he had it wrong.

Our notes still have the line "I promise to pay the bearer on demand the sum of...", which I was told was evidence that the notes could be exchanged for gold, but I suppose it's just there as tradition now.
Yeah its like "In God We Trust" on our bills. Mostly tradition.

FYI:
http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/education/Documents/resources/postcards/banknotescomp.pdf
Quote from: BoE
Banknotes were initially IOUs for gold
deposited at the Bank. People used these
notes to pay for things, knowing they
were backed by ‘The Promise’ to pay
the equivalent value in gold.

That’s no longer possible.
So what gives modern
banknotes their face value,
when they cost only a few
pence to make?

In a word,TRUST

We trust that banknotes can be exchanged for the
things we want to buy. We trust ‘The Promise’ that
they will be accepted by others for their face value.
This trust gives banknotes their value.