Rework how shadows affect 'indoor' lighting

Author Topic: Rework how shadows affect 'indoor' lighting  (Read 8052 times)

Here are some 'before/after' concepts to show what i'm talking about

See how on the left image, the lighting is being completely overwritten by the shadow color? Everything in the shadows look so flat and you can't really tell what's what

So is it possible to summon forth kompressor to change how the shadows affect the lighting?

i've always wanted something like this. depth perception is terrible in shadows, even light ones.

This is a must, its one of the reasons I turn off shadows when building underground.

Have you tried pming badspot about it?

Hata's Shader Toggle appears to fix this but you have to use his custom shaders but also slightly brights all shadows as a consequence; I'd like to know how to get it to work fine with port's soft shaders as well.

Have you tried pming badspot about it?
I thought about that, but i was more concerned about whether or not this is a good idea to suggest and if other people felt the same way

Hata's Shader Toggle appears to fix this but you have to use his custom shaders but also slightly brights all shadows as a consequence; I'd like to know how to get it to work fine with port's soft shaders as well.
I actually have ZSNO's shader keybinds, but i can only use performance while still having an okay-ish amount of FPS

Eh... it doesn't fix this issue? None of his shaders change anything about this.

So, ambient light would not be completely canceled out by shadows?

It used to bother me how the sun's position still made a difference inside caves, but the incredible flatness under shadows is far worse. I like the way you think.

This doesn't solve it perfectly, but it helps.

https://gist.github.com/portify/18d5e8de67f610e6fa92

You can set the "opacity" of shadows on line 5. 1.0f is what everything looks like by default. 0.0f turns shadows off. 0.5f gives you a blend between the flat shadow color and the outside direct light.

This doesn't solve it perfectly, but it helps.

https://gist.github.com/portify/18d5e8de67f610e6fa92

You can set the "opacity" of shadows on line 5. 1.0f is what everything looks like by default. 0.0f turns shadows off. 0.5f gives you a blend between the flat shadow color and the outside direct light.
This is actually works pretty well

I think it looks much better with factor 0.8

Wonderous. But is there any way that this could reveal ambient light, rather than direct?

Oh, cancel that, turns out ambient light all by itself is completely flat. Didn't realize that.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 06:28:02 AM by Teneksi »

Eh... it doesn't fix this issue? None of his shaders change anything about this.
it appears to on my end, no idea why you can't reproduce it

hata's custom high

thanks port. i'm glad it was a relatively small change so it was really simply to use it with your soft shaders as well
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 03:11:18 PM by QuadStorm »

how would you use this with soft shaders

I got it to work with port's optimised soft shaders

adding const float occlusionBlend = 0.5f; and changing applyLighting(fragColor, albedo, occlusionFactor); to applyLighting(fragColor, albedo, 1 - (1 - occlusionFactor) * occlusionBlend); achieves the effect on any shader.

0.8 Actually looks better, it still makes rooms dark but now you can actually have depth perception.