Author Topic: Rework how shadows affect 'indoor' lighting  (Read 8054 times)

I never understood what ambient lighting was, is it supposed to do this and doesn't? It seems to just affect things the same way as direct light, so it's just the two lights combined.

Without ambient light everything not directly lit would be pure black, as Blockland does not use global illumination.

I never understood what ambient lighting was, is it supposed to do this and doesn't? It seems to just affect things the same way as direct light, so it's just the two lights combined.
Ambient is the general lighting/dark side of objects, direct light is the side lit by the sun, which is why if you make the direct light black, you're just left with the ambient light, that you could even make white if you want everything to look un-lit

Shadow color controls only the coloring of the shadows, so there's absolutely 0 changes to the scenery if you don't have shaders enabled

Ambient lighting is the light that an object gets when it has no other lights shining on it.

It comes from all directions so you get no shading which makes everything look flat.

Adding a little directionality allows you to perceive shape again, which is what the change in this thread does to some degree.

Ambient lighting is the light that an object gets when it has no other lights shining on it.

It comes from all directions so you get no shading which makes everything look flat.

Adding a little directionality allows you to perceive shape again, which is what the change in this thread does to some degree.

Are you going to add an improved version to default shaders?

I think that's what we all want to know here, after being plagued by "shaders make everything indoors look like blobs" for so long.