Author Topic: The animation and stop motion mega thread  (Read 45972 times)

What is animation?
Animation is a process of making a sequence of images and making a set of frames for these images which will allow motion to be made when played back. Animation is very popular nowadays and has made many popular films, web series and more. You can read more about it on wikipedia. Stop motion is the same as animation instead you do it in real life using a camera, stop motion is possibly the easiest way but the equipment for a full professional video will cost a lot. Other than that for stop motion all you need is a Camera and some figures, papercrafts, legos or any object of your choice.

2D animation

Flash

There are many versions of adobe flash but the most popular one is Flash professional 8, it is a bit old but many people still use it today to create really good animations. Many animations like Grand theft awesome, madness combat and animation vs animator where made in flash professional 8. It is a highly recommended animation software for beginners but it can be difficult to use at times.

you can read more about it on wikipedia

Examples of flash

Pivot

Pivot is a stick figure animation software which allows you to move the joints on multiple stick figures and make an animation out of it. You can download add-ons for pivot to add in more stick figures or weapons or anything you want which the normal version doesn't have to offer. Like flash it is highly recommended for beginners and pivot is a bit easier than flash.

Examples of pivot

Anime studio

Anime studio is a powerful advanced animation tool. It comes with a debut version and professional version as well as a character creator. I don't know a lot about Anime studio unfortunately so if you know more about it please tell me

3D animation

Source filmmaker

Source filmmaker is one of the most popular 3d animating software's on the internet. Many people use it to construct a video or just anything you want, its all possible and uses valve's source engine to manipulate the videos, because it uses source you can make maps in Hammer editor and import them to sfm or you can use any map you want that was intended for source. All the models are from source, this is why it is such a powerful 3d filmmaking tool and I would highly recommend it to anyone interested in animating but it is very difficult for beginners.

Examples of SFM

Blender

Blender is an extremely powerful 3d animating and object making tool. This is not recommended for beginners and only the pros know how to use blender, even though it is a difficult to learn software it is still amazing and its free which is crazy

3DS max

3DS max is a extremely powerful 3d animating and object making tool that is made by autodesk. This is also not recommended for beginners as it is very difficult to learn much like blender. 3DS max allows you to edit every aspect of what you want to make and has very powerful graphics much like blender.

Stop motion
my favorite technique has to be stop motion, everyone can make it, everyone can do it.

Brick film

Brick film is what it says, its when you use legos to make a stop motion film. The thing I like about it is that everything customize able, its lego its what your imagination is at.

Claymation

Claymation is when you use clay to make a stop motion. Much like lego it is very customize able and it allows every part of the character you make to move and its what your imagination is at. My most favorite film of claymation has to be Klay world

Papercraft stop motion

This one is starting to get a bit of popularity ever since PixelPapercraft was created. Most of the time people use minecraft models to create their stop motions but there are many other models you can create with papercrafts. It is also very customize able

Game based animation
Game based animation is animation that is either done in-game or a software that is based off of the game but doesn't use it's engine to turn it into an animation software (Eg. mineimator) (SFM does not count as it uses a modified engine of source that was specifically made for animation creating)

Rage engine (GTA IV)

The rage engine that runs GTA IV was used to create many machinima's, it can use custom animations (As seen in the image above) to create a story. GTA IV based machinima is best used with the simple native trainer which allows the player to tweak the game in every way

Gta sa an studio

GTA SA was also another game that was used to create machinima, SA is possibly the most modded grand theft atuo game to date as it has it's own standalone CLEO mod called san an studio which allows players to use every skin, animation, etc that is in the game to create a story. Now since San Andreas is a bit outdated this isn't as popular as it used to be but it's still worth checking out

Sims 2 Studio

The sims 2 was a big game that people used to create animations and machinimas as EA included a recording feature in the game. Players could customize their sims in every way they wanted for their movie and would then start making sets and everything they needed to create the story they wanted. Because the sims 2 is limited, the machinimas on youtube aren't always the best and might have flawed animations. The sims 2 uses Poseboxes which allow sims to go into different sorts of animations including walk styles, combat moves, etc.

Sims 3 machinima

The sims 3 continued sims 2 machinima but this time with more updated content. The sims 3 has better graphics and better options for the player to customize sims and the animations this time are better than the sims 2. The way machinima is created in the sims 3 is the same way as the sims 2 but the sims 3 is very customizable and is an open world game, CAW a software included with the sims 3 allows players to create their own world but it is very difficult to use but it allows people to make very good machinima's.

Mine imator

Mine imator is a minecraft version of SFM that allows people to create animation in minecraft but it isn't a very good tool but is good for beginners to animator

Garry's mod

Garry's mod is also another game used for animation and it has endless capabilities. Content creators such as Kitty0706, Dasboschitt and Dr Face have shown how good Garry's mod can be if they know how to create a animation within it

and that's about it so share your animations and stop motions in this thread!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 06:38:06 PM by Mouse droidz 21 »

mm yes now I have a reason to start getting back into my pro animations

I made this very early this year for an old project.

I made this very early this year for an old project.

that's pretty cool
was that made in blender?

that's pretty cool
was that made in blender?
Yep! That is correct.

i'm too unmotivated to create anything longer than 2 seconds
all i can offer is flash and sfm animations

ayooo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMoyB8Q8Gkg
nice posings and lighting

nice posings and lighting
thanks

so i tried another little animation thing that i'm probably going to consider wip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4BDTxQlhr8
i used an mp5 reloading sound for the reloading
notice some errors: arm becomes completely stationary when not in a state of motion, there is no muzzle flash when the gun fires
so yeah
wip, i'll work on it sometime tomorrow

thanks

so i tried another little animation thing that i'm probably going to consider wip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4BDTxQlhr8
i used an mp5 reloading sound for the reloading
notice some errors: arm becomes completely stationary when not in a state of motion, there is no muzzle flash when the gun fires
so yeah
wip, i'll work on it sometime tomorrow
That's actually really good, its better than what I can do in sfm

Does anyone do any stop motion? I made a stop motion 5 months ago and quite a few people liked it (I shared it in Pixelpapercraft) hopefully I'll be able to make more stop motion movies later