PSA: You can improve Blockland sound by updating OpenAL32.dll

Author Topic: PSA: You can improve Blockland sound by updating OpenAL32.dll  (Read 11281 times)

The OpenAL32.dll that Blockland comes with is OpenAL version 1.0. This is very old. Version 1.1 was released 10 years ago. Replacing the file with a newer version fixes various issues such as:

• Directional sound being straight up wrong. You can actually tell what direction sounds come from!
  • Sound scaling and adding up uncontrollably, such as first-person /alarm being extremely loud and music bricks stacking.

Note: This may also break some things. So far, the only issue I've seen is sounds sometimes getting mixed up when switching servers, but I can't say that's the only thing that might go wrong. Use a fair bit of caution.

One such newer version you can use is the bin/Win32/soft_oal.dll file (just rename it to OpenAL32.dll) in openal-soft-1.17.1-bin.zip from kcat.strangesoft.net/openal.html. Here's a mirror of just the DLL itself: http://www.justfilehosting.space/download.php?f=lxswz

If you ever want to revert to the original: With the launcher, just delete OpenAL32.dll and it will redownload the original. With Steam, verify the game files from the Steam client.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 01:35:57 AM by portify »

rip /alarm ear rape

edit: holy stuff, it actually fixed the stereo sound
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 06:14:16 PM by MrLoL² »

Badspot should make this default, it'd be great to not have to worry so much about clipping audio

and i was just getting used to /alarm

neat; it's always nice to see enhancements like this, even though this should be default

neat; it's always nice to see enhancements like this, even though this should be default

You can assume this to be included in the next update

rip earrape, you wont be missed

I thought this was more or less obvious especially after the whole reshade affair..

I thought this was more or less obvious especially after the whole reshade affair..
i hate you

It being obvious for you doesn't make it obvious for everyone else