Spotify has Cyrptocurrency miners in it? --False Alarm

Author Topic: Spotify has Cyrptocurrency miners in it? --False Alarm  (Read 2735 times)

I was running a scan on Malwarebytes on my computer and one thing that came up was from Spotify. I'm honestly really confused.

Along with that particular file I went into the spotify appdata folder and found a bunch of files similar.
animecoin.cl
darkcoin.cl
fuguecoin.cl
groestlcoin.cl
inkcoin.cl
marucoin.cl
myriadcoin-groestl.cl
quarkcoin.cl
qubitcoin.cl
sifcoin.cl
twecoin.cl
This was the entirety of the \Spotify\Caches folder + a couple more below the image:

I'm really not sure what to think of this. I deleted all of the files and restarted spotify to see if they were created again but nothing happened. What do you guys think is up with this?

Edit: Something else put those files there, but I have no idea what. They obviously weren't even in use because it would be fairly obvious if a mining program is active.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 10:01:42 AM by DaSord213 »

i just use the web player
are you sure it's the legitimate download?

Never used spotify but either a virus put all those files there and it's unrelated to Spotify, or Spotify is vulnerable to a driveby download.

There isn't a 'caches' folder in my directory. It might just be because I don't use it a lot, though.

i just use the web player
are you sure it's the legitimate download?
Yes.
Never used spotify but either a virus put all those files there and it's unrelated to Spotify, or Spotify is vulnerable to a driveby download.
Could be the first one, but I'm the kind of person that leans on the cautious side when downloading things from untrusted sources, so I'm not sure when I would have gotten a virus.

I just had my brother who also has spotify on his computer check and he didn't even have a "Caches" folder, so I guess it could have been something else put them there.

Probably a virus disguising itself as spotify, or injecting itself into spotify...
Either way, do a scan with malwarebytes and whatever AV you have

What, you thought you were getting that music for free?

EDIT: Ok nevermind.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 02:33:09 PM by Bear_Tracks »

An alternative (and this is what I do): get your favorite songs from YouTube, use an online YouTube to MP3 converter and just stick the file somewhere in your desktop. It's a lot easier, but it takes up a ton of space if you have dozens upon dozens of music videos downloaded.

(This wouldn't be considered pirating right? Or illegal? I don't think it is.)
it is technicly also considering how many people try and take down those sites for theft and copyright stuff

(This wouldn't be considered pirating right? Or illegal? I don't think it is.)
I'm not sure, but I think it depends on the channel.
If the video is uploaded on an official channel, it might be legal?
But if it's just some random dude uploading it, which isn't legal to begin with, then downloading it isn't legal either

What, you thought you were getting that music for free?

I thought the price was unbelievably stuff and unrelated ads all of the time

OT: I just had a look in mine, and nothing close to yours is there

OP your version of spotify is infected, I don't think they would do this stuff.

I'm not sure, but I think it depends on the channel.
If the video is uploaded on an official channel, it might be legal?
But if it's just some random dude uploading it, which isn't legal to begin with, then downloading it isn't legal either
forget it, I use youtube-mp3 all the time, the only downside is the washed bitrate and a little bit of quality loss.

If you used to record songs with a tape recorder back in the day its the same stuff, my dad used to have a tape recording thingy hooked up to a fm radio, it still works too.

There's some weird stuff going up with spotify. I'm pretty sure it's installed adware on my PC.

There's some weird stuff going up with spotify. I'm pretty sure it's installed adware on my PC.
I highly doubt that