Poll

What part of the RPG sounds most interesting?

Quidditch matches
5 (27.8%)
Quests/puzzles
4 (22.2%)
House competition/classes
3 (16.7%)
Spells/messing around
2 (11.1%)
Boss fights/dungeons
4 (22.2%)
Avoiding teachers/prefects
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: Hogwarts RPG  (Read 3569 times)

Check out the website!

Steam Group
OST development
2015 Topic
2012 Topic

Please fill this out if you can help or may in the future!
View the full detailed task list

About the development of the Hogwarts RPG
Hogwarts is a very ambitious project, aiming to let players do most everything found in the books. Thus far development has been slow, mainly focused on building the environment throughout 2012-2015. However, the environment is now at the point where code, bots, etc need to be incorporated to continue building. I have a great variety of things to do for Hogwarts, if you're good at anything at all I can probably use your help. It is likely that this RPG will never be finished, but that all depends upon the amount of help I receive! Please help spread the word if you know anyone interested :)

Current Progress: (estimated to my nearest favorite number)
  • Build - 60%
  • Bricks - 40%
  • Writing - 25%
  • Soundtrack - 15%
  • Spells - 10%
  • Script/Gamemode - 3%
  • GUI - 2%
  • Models - 2%
  • Bots/Playertype - 0%

CURRENT ISSUES

1. Extra raycasting in corners of brick DTS collision (shown in red)

Does anyone know why this is happening? I am using 10 convex collision boxes in the dts.
Download the blb / dts collision

2. Fill Printer RTB pref for filling by brick color instead of print
I've never worked with RTB prefs so any help is appreciated. Download

Really just added:
Code: [Select]
if($Pref::Server::FillPrinter_FillByColor $= "")
$Pref::Server::FillPrinter_FillByColor = false;
and
while(%target=containerSearchNext())
{
   if (!$pref::server:fillPrinter_fillByColor)
      %condition = (%target.printID == %oldPrint);
   else
      %condition = (%target.getcolorid() == %oldcolor);

if(%target.isplanted() && %condition)
   {
      if(gettrustlevel(%client,%target)>=2)
      {
         if(!%target.fill)
         {
            %target.fill=1;
            %list.obj[%list.count++]=%target;
         }
      }
   }
}

3. Open version of door has no collision
I've never made doors before either so let me know if I just overlooked something dumb.
Download the blbs: Open / Closed
datablock fxDTSBrickData ( brickDoorChamberOfSecretsOpenData )
{
brickFile = "./DoorChamberOfSecretsOpen.blb";
uiName = "Chamber of Secrets Door";

isDoor = 1;
isOpen = 1;

closedCW = "brickDoorChamberOfSecretsClosedData";
openCW = "brickDoorChamberOfSecretsOpenData";

closedCCW = "brickDoorChamberOfSecretsClosedData";
openCCW = "brickDoorChamberOfSecretsOpenData";
};

datablock fxDTSBrickData(brickDoorChamberOfSecretsClosedData : brickDoorChamberOfSecretsOpenData)
{
brickFile = "./DoorChamberOfSecretsClosed.blb";
category = "Hogwarts";
subCategory = "Doors";
iconName = "Add-ons/Brick_Hogwarts/DoorChamberOfSecrets";
isOpen = 0;
};
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 03:08:59 AM by Wesley Williams »

This board has been agreed to be used for Modification Help. The ideal place for active projects in GD. Otherwise, awesome.

This board has been agreed to be used for Modification Help. The ideal place for active projects in GD. Otherwise, awesome.
That's what I'm using it for? I'm not looking to raise awareness for Hogwarts, just looking for help making assets.

happy birthday
Lol thanks

Modification Help as in help with your code or your model. Asking for collaboration still classifies as an active project topic.

Alright then this is mainly collaboration, but I am also asking for help with my code and models. View the task list- some model links will be up tomorrow once I get the files. I will be posting code questions/issues on this topic as I run into them.

like dannu said, any mod dev topic belongs in general discussion. modification help is intended for people with problems with models or code, not looking for assistance for creating assets or promoting a wip project

Alright then this is mainly collaboration, but I am also asking for help with my code and models. View the task list- some model links will be up tomorrow once I get the files. I will be posting code questions/issues on this topic as I run into them.
I wouldn't worry about it regardless, badspot will move it if Dannu is right. I haven't seen him move any active projects thus far though.

Anyway this looks great, looking forward to seeing what you make out of it.

he hasn't moved any projects because if he moves one he would have to move them all, which sounds like a lot of work
so we sort of have to do his job for him for the sake of organization and not confusing everyone else

also this looks really interesting, how many spells are there going to be?

I would be fine if this moved to GD, just thought I would try here for a change because I need help, not interest. Updated the OP with an Issues section.

also this looks really interesting, how many spells are there going to be?
We are including every spell from the books that is feasible in Blockland, currently we have 18 on the server and about 100 planned.

Odd but I keep crashing on connect, even after I cleared out my cache.db

This problem's been going around for me for I suppose, is it happening to anyone else?

I haven't heard of anyone else crashing but lots have reported the load stopping or getting no ping.

I've posted three issues I'm working on fixing at the bottom of the OP, which should validate this being in Mod Help. The last two are trivial, I just need the help of someone that knows about RTB Prefs and doors for those.

If you're busy now but may be able to help some time in the future, say over the summer, please let me know because this is a long term project :) Any help is greatly appreciated.

Depending on how you were intending on creating weather, it may be impossible to make it look good.
Badspot removed a few weather related functions that allowed you to tween/change things. (Probably because they were unreliable)
I made a weather system when they were still in the game, now all my work is near useless ;c

I was worried about this. I think I'm going to try changing weather only at the darkest point at night- so around when the sky turns pitch black/really dark I will add/remove precipitation, if the weather script determines, and change the skybox, fog/visible distance etc if necessary. I'm really not sure if it'll work well but maybe with some experimenting we can find something that looks decent.

Thanks for the info :)