There is now 9 planets in our solar system.

Author Topic: There is now 9 planets in our solar system.  (Read 3887 times)

i feel a lot smarter today thanks to you dooble. even if the people you responded to don't appreciate what you wrote, i do :^)

that's some great grammar you got in the title tony.

who has time for grammar when you've got a busy schedule of stuffposting?

We aren't even going to attempt Mars travel until 2030. If you ask me by that time it's too late, we need to do it now.
going to mars in 2030 is not too late at all, what the forget are you on about
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 10:36:48 AM by Maxwell. »

Not really, they are sending some of the brightest people to mars. They could create a functional colony in less than a year.

It's not exactly that easy, even on the moon. There are far too many obstacles and problems that would have to be dealt with during the construction of the colony, and actually living in it. Solar flares, for one. On the Moon/Mars, if one of those hit the colony, everyone would be dead. There's no atmosphere or magnetic field to protect either of those celestial bodies from the intense radiation and heat that it would let off. There are a couple other specific reasons that I remember reading about, but don't want to say until I can actually get a reliable source to quote them on.

You've got to deal with the following;
 - Radiation (particularly following solar flares)
 - Extreme heat on the moon
 - Extreme cold on the moon/mars
 - Having a steady source of food
 - Having a steady source of Oxygen (growing plants for food will provide both of these)
 - Venting oxygen safely (too much produced by plants greatly increases the chance of massive explosions and fires from even the slightest of sparks)
 - Having a steady supply of water (water recyclers do a fantastic job, but eventually water will be entirely used up given enough time)
 - Maintaining muscle mass in low-gravity
 - Maintaining sanity/morale (particularly on Mars, where you are anywhere from 3 minutes to 22 minutes away at the speed of light, depending on distance between the two planets. This makes communication difficult, particularly any social interaction with people on earth. You have to get on with your fellow astronauts)
 - Extreme dust storms on Mars

Plus much much more.

- Maintaining sanity/morale (particularly on Mars, where you are anywhere from 3 minutes to 22 minutes away at the speed of light, depending on distance between the two planets. This makes communication difficult, particularly any social interaction with people on earth. You have to get on with your fellow astronauts)

that would really loving suck if you just, like, didn't get along with any of the fellow peeps you'd be with

it'd make me want to strangle them :c

that would really loving suck if you just, like, didn't get along with any of the fellow peeps you'd be with

it'd make me want to strangle them :c
You can guarantee that one of the most important qualities in prospective astronauts for long-haul missions, like Mars, will be their personality and disposition.

When it comes down to it, there will likely be instances where lesser scientists are chosen because they're just more capable of getting on with their colleagues.

Where? You didn't provide any fix.

It should read "There are now 9 planets in our solar system".

There are now nine planets in our solar system.

There is no need to be uptight about proper grammar as long as you can understand what the OP means. If improper grammar made a sentence confusing then it would make sense to correct it.

There is no need to be uptight about proper grammar as long as you can understand what the OP means. If improper grammar made a sentence confusing then it would make sense to correct it.
Thomas Jefferson nd various linguists would agree with you.