Author Topic: theHunter - New Guest Experience + Free Stuff!  (Read 1033 times)

I don't really expect much of BLF to be interested in this, but a quick search showed multiple topics for this game that I've been playing constantly. If you are not a patient person, this game is not for you.

theHunter is a game focused on a realistic hunting experience. Featuring 10 massive open world environments (and I'm talking multiple km2 here on each map), you must try and locate animals in order to kill and harvest them. All animals (with the exception of female deer and female elk) have a score attributed to them in order to show off your personal bests and enroll in competitions where the highest scoring animal wins.

Animals also vary in behavior. Some respond to man-made calls or scents and will approach the area where they heard the call. Some are very stupid and aren't bothered much my human presence. Others will run away as soon as they smell or see you (coyotes, foxes, bears, etc). Some animals will even viciously attack you if cornered or if you get too close (bears, moose, bison, reindeer, feral hogs, wild boars). Some animals (such as birds), cannot smell you at all but make up for it in good eyesight.

Animals will spook and run away due to several causes. Some may run if they see you (most animals have rather poor eyesight, but coyotes, foxes, turkeys, etc will run if they see movement). Some will run if they catch a whiff of you, so stay downwind (check wind direction with wind indicator or just watch which way leaves fall from trees). All animals will run if they hear gunshots (gunshots will generally scare off every animal within render distance) or footsteps (especially when running).

Although this game is free to play as a guest and for using tutorials, it is not free. Like TF2 to some extent, you have the option to purchase new items with real dosh (real money is converted to in-game "em$"). Unlike TF2, some of those items are required for a few missions. Therefore, you couldn't continue with those missions until you buy the item and make use out of it. Completing missions will reward you with in-game credits known as "gm$", which are mainly used for buying consumable items (camping supplies for instant travel to campsites or tents, climbing rope for ascending steep cliffs, scents for luring animals, wind indicators for checking which way the wind blows, etc).

Until this week, guests (aka people who don't spend money on the game) were only given the .243 Bolt Action Rifle with unlimited ammo and were generally only allowed to hunt Mule Deer, which are only found on the Logger's Point map (although as a guest, you can visit any map you want). They were also given a .357 pistol, but no ammunition. That has been completely changed now. Today, guests can now hunt whitetail deer, pheasants, cottontail rabbits, and European rabbits. Mule deer will be phased out on February 03 but can still be hunted by guests until then before requiring a license. Guests are also given a .243 Bolt Action rifle with unlimited replenishable ammo, a 12 gauge single shot shotgun with unlimited replenishable birdshot (for hunting birds and rabbits), buckshot (deer, fox, coyote, other mid-size game), and slugs (large deer, bears, pigs, other big game EXCLUDING bison), and maybe even the .357 pistol (although I'm not sure on that one). Should a guest purchase the basic membership ($9.99 for 3 months), they'll be able to hunt every single animal on all reserves except for bison (only because that needs a bigger gun).

I could include a lot more, but I'm done typing.

Players

XRSeven (Hunter Score: 152) - 3 month Wayfarer membership

Some screenshots and pictures:

Mule deer massacre (six dead in picture)

60 meter headshot on a rabbit with a crossbow

Watching mule deer from a hunting tower with my rangefinder binoculars

Catching the blacktail trophy buck that got away (for over 2 hours!)

The scenery of Val-de-bois (not even close to the extent of the map)

Babby's first black bear

Trophy elk

First moose

Neck impalement

First fox

Piebald reindeer

you need a license to view this comment