Should "handicapped" (the r word) be removed from the dictionary?

Poll

Should it?

Yes
7 (3.7%)
No
151 (79.9%)
ITS JUST A PRANK BRO!!!!!
31 (16.4%)

Total Members Voted: 189

Author Topic: Should "handicapped" (the r word) be removed from the dictionary?  (Read 3178 times)

is that what u are

No lol i accidentally hit something and it inserted the whole op as quote

although i don't condone the use of it for a derogatory purpose, it still serves its role in our society. two words that immediately come to my head that involve this word is fire "handicapant" and "ritard"/"ritardando" (slow down in music).

The day that the english language itself is affected by the PC movement will be a sad day for humanity

"handicapped" isn't inherently offensive. It's the context in which it is used that determines whether or not it is offensive.

For example, "fire-handicapant suit" is not offensive, but "loving handicap" is.

Here's how I can see the word "handicap" as an insult.

Not Offensive:
"My homework is so handicapped"

Offensive:
"Hey look at that fat piece of stuff handicapped kid" (Kid with actual down syndrome.)

Because removing a word from the dictionary magically makes it so nobody will ever use it anymore.

Actually, now that I think about it, maybe we should remove it. That way if people complain about it being used against them, we can just cite the fact that it isn't actually a word and they have nothing to be offended about. Because as we all know, it's the word that offends people, and definitely not the context in which it is used.

I dont like when people call actually Mentally Handicapped people "handicapped" but when someone says to another Perfectly Normal guy yo your fukin handicapped I dont give a loving stuff.

another word will take its place
also there are things called synonyms

The day that the english language itself is affected by the PC movement will be a sad day for humanity
To be fair you can't the word monday in front of many people anymore, especially black people. You can't even say it in a non offensive context such as quoting someone who used it as an insult. American women are currently conditioning themselves and others with the word cunt as well.

no because euphemisms always build up more and more syllables; i hate that.