Author Topic: Forums, I need your help again:: The DIY Project Edition  (Read 1124 times)

Hello forums, its your favorite lizard god again just here to ask for your help.
I'll try and keep this short and sweet.
Recently I've been struggling to relieve myself creatively with everything going on with university, my social life and general gaming. I have a serious lack of creativity in my life and when I don't do anything creative for a while, I get agitated and start to go a little crazy. So, I've decided to plan to do something when I move out of my apartment and into my house in August!
I'm still a student (so money will be an issue) but I will have lots more space as I will have a large back garden (or 'yard' for you Americans) which has a firepit.

I want to do something creative. I'll be able to buy a few basic tools as well as a spot welding kit, and be able to buy some cheap materials (which I'd rather salvage). I don't know what I want to build right now, however I've got a pretty good knowledge of design and I'd probably be doing this with a friend.
What I want from you guys is suggestions of what to build. After I've had a few suggestions, I'll make a poll. So far the only thing I can think of making is a motorized go-kart.

tldr; What should I make in my back yard?

Make a neighborhood library. Its a small box that you hang outside on a street post that has a bunch of free books. You write "leave your books here when you're done with them!" and usually a lot of books get taken and end up back in the box. It's a great way to better your relations with neighbors.

A lot of random people will take some books and usually leave some of their old books in there, and it increases the exposure of new and interesting literature to yourself and your neighbors

Or you can be a typical boy and make some awesome go-kart.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 06:08:52 PM by Path »

That is without a doubt the worst idea that I've ever heard. Contemplating locking this thread.

That is without a doubt the worst idea that I've ever heard. Contemplating locking this thread.
Glad you liked my suggestion!

Make a neighborhood library. Its a small box that you hang outside on a street post that has a bunch of free books. You write "leave your books here when you're done with them!" and usually a lot of books get taken and end up back in the box. It's a great way to better your relations with neighbors.
It would either be vandalised (considering he'll be in the student housing part of town), or removed by the local council.

I don't have any ideas, but just as a headsup, check with your landlord that you're allowed to do welding in the garden.
Landlords for student properties can be wankers about giving you back your deposit, so you don't want to accidentally break some rule or something.

I got lucky with my landlord, she's cool as forget.

Make a giant iron richard and people will come worship it with sweet British chocolate.

Make some BDSM material and place it over the fire pit. Drug bring home a girl and strap her into it. As she screams in pain/pleasure because of the fire is when you do the nasty with her. The set up will bring community bonding (pun) as they all are able to horrifically watch you do these actions publicly in an open area!

Make a robot.

For real though, make a robot.

Make a robot.

For real though, make a robot.
Yes, make it* a robot like the Iron Giant.

aforementioned iron rooster statue

Why don't you build a sculpture that embodies some element of life that you would like to be present in your home.

Why don't you build a sculpture that embodies some element of life that you would like to be present in your home.
Like a giant metal bong.

Well since you said you wanted to relieve yourself creatively, why don't you just make a bunch of sculptures out of giant sheets of metal?
Ex:
Obviously you're not going to be that good at it because you don't have a creative bone in your body but hey you can damned well try!

aforementioned iron rooster statue
Yes

A nuclear shelter
no

Like a giant metal bong.
yes

Obviously you're not going to be that good at it because you don't have a creative bone in your body but hey you can damned well try!
you know me so well.