Author Topic: Community client sided hat mod  (Read 1332 times)

How it could work:
Custom hats would be saved on the player's avatar save file (or wherever) as a custom value, as well as a color value and one for "accents"
Only other players with the mod will know what to do with the values, (well "duh" for obvious reasons) and display the hat according to the values.

However, a problem in the long run would be that if people want to add their own hats they would have to ask the modder.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 03:25:56 AM by Emgiell »

sorry to say but what you're describing is impossible
the closest you can get to this is jakeblade's hat mod

plus it would be a massive task to even get a lot of users to use it, and to spread the word

idk what you guys are talking about this isn't completely unreasonable

lets clarify:

a client mod that attempts to auto-wear certain hats whenever one joins a server with the associated hatmod.

lets clarify:

a client mod that attempts to auto-wear certain hats whenever one joins a server with the associated hatmod.
The mod would look for the other players's modded hat value, color, and accents on said avatar file.
Then, clients with the mod can see the hats amongst the mod users.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 03:22:30 AM by Emgiell »

Then, clients with the mod can see the hats amongst the mod users.

How do you expect that to work?

Think of hat or other Add-Ons requiring models or scripts on Blockland servers that are supposed to interact with other players as having a conversation.

Think of this.  You are expected to talk to someone in a language they don't know, and they are trying to respond in a language that you don't know.  Without a server-based framework and database of hats, your clients would be unable to talk to each other, meaning you don't see the hats.  Without a server script linked to a database, the server itself won't even acknowledge that you have hats.  The data wouldn't be present on the server, and thus, the server will not acknowledge the command to import hats because there is no mod to authorize it.  Take the language brown townogy, and when applying it to a lack of the server side mod, compare it to tying to mail someone a letter by carrier pigeon by forcing it through wires as an electrical signal.  You can't send a bird carrying a message electronically through cable.  The mediums are not recognized.

It would require a server script to serve as a platform, and an automatically updating database of hats that exist on one server so that everyone can see them, so in other words, it's impossible on the client side.  And even when it IS on the server side, it would only be on servers that are running the script and are linked with the database.

To those who script, I hope I got this brown townogy right.  Feel free to call me out if it's incorrect.

We can easily make an external server for players to communicate with, that's not a problem.

The problem is loading and applying the hats on the client side. I don't think there's any way to do that.

To those who script, I hope I got this brown townogy right.  Feel free to call me out if it's incorrect.
I'd say it's more like trying to mail something to someone with no postal service.

But as Zeblote said, anyone can make an external server for the client to connect to.
So extending that anaology, it's like "ok USPS won't pick up my stuff, I'll just use UPS or FedEx then"

The problem is loading and applying the hats on the client side. I don't think there's any way to do that.
yeah this is the part that is impossible

here's a solution for recoloring hats though: jack nior, in despair syndrome, made a custom player model using ports DTS importer/exporter and he was able to add hairs to the DTS of the player. he then could show/hide and color these hairs on demand. doing something like that would make the recoloring hats part possible, and you could still wear hats normally n such

man someone should totally do this it would just have to be server sided
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 08:52:17 AM by Gytyyhgfffff »

Then you'll need a seperate player model and datablock for every hat.

no here's what jack did: he took a bunch of hatmod hats and put like 50 of them into the same DTS

you would only need one player model which would have like 100 hats stored in it
if every hat has different named nodes you could hide/show and recolor hats as you wanted

Surely if there was an online database that the mod fetched data from to check whether a user has a specific hat or not, and to update the data any time a user changes their hat?

Surely if there was an online database that the mod fetched data from to check whether a user has a specific hat or not, and to update the data any time a user changes their hat?
You can't put models on people client sided. Unless Badspot modified the source code, You just can't.