Author Topic: "New York, Vermont ban official state travel to Mississippi over LGBT law"-link  (Read 5036 times)

http://news10.com/2016/04/06/new-york-vermont-ban-official-travel-to-mississippi-over-lgbt-law/

Basically MS put in this law so that business owners can refuse to serve LGBT couples on a religious basis.  IMHO this has nothing to do with explicitly refusing to serve them entirely but this law serves to protect places like bakeries that don't want to bake a gay wedding cake.  That would be in a way participating in a homoloveual wedding, which if a business owner feels religiously convicted that they should not, they should have the right to refuse that type of thing.

What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 11:47:12 AM by ABlockOfCheese »

I think it's really dunb

It's a good law. It protects the rights of and prevents discrimination against people who have religious beliefs.

Keep in mind that what this law is really intended for is for preventing businesses from being compelled to cater to or host homoloveual events (eg. gay weddings).
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 11:12:45 AM by Planr »

Left radicals being left radicals

Similar thing happened with San Francisco banning official travel to NC after a bill said you have to use the bathroom of your physical love and no trans bathrooms would be made

I have no issue with the law in Mississippi. Not that I think people should in general be refusing to serve LGBT people, but rather I believe that businesses should have the right to refuse service to anyone for whatever reason they choose. If people refuse service to people, it might hurt their business, but they should have the choice.

Oddly enough, when it comes to religion, they aren't supposed to judge other people. To a religious person, it would apparently be a sin to be gay themselves. But that in no way does not stop them from providing services to other people. I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure that humans aren't supposed to judge other humans, gay or not, because they're in no place to judge others.

It's a good law. It protects the rights of and prevents discrimination against people who have religious beliefs.

im pretty sure this law discriminates against people who dont have religious beliefs

A gay couple can always ask another bakery to make their cake. If they're asking a business owner to do something that he/she doesn't support, he/she shouldn't have to do it.

I have no issue with the law in Mississippi. Not that I think people should in general be refusing to serve LGBT people, but rather I believe that businesses should have the right to refuse service to anyone for whatever reason they choose. If people refuse service to people, it might hurt their business, but they should have the choice.

This

Oddly enough, when it comes to religion, they aren't supposed to judge other people. To a religious person, it would apparently be a sin to be gay themselves. But that in no way does not stop them from providing services to other people. I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure that humans aren't supposed to judge other humans, gay or not, because they're in no place to judge others.

This isn't necessarily a matter of religious people judging gay people. It's more of an issue of making them support gay people.

Are you asking about what you said in the topic title or the OP? Either way, banning official state travel is incredibly stupid regardless of what laws are passed.

The Mississippi law is good. A business can refuse service to anyone for any reason

The Mississippi law is good. A business can refuse service to anyone for any reason

if thats true then do we really even need a law for this?

You're thinking of the verse in the Bible that says "judge not, let you be judged, remove the log out of your own eye before trying to remove the speck in your brothers", which is frequently taken out of context. The context of that passage is about hypocritical judgment, not judgment as a whole.

You're thinking of the verse in the Bible that says "judge not, let you be judged, remove the log out of your own eye before trying to remove the speck in your brothers", which is frequently taken out of context. The context of that passage is about hypocritical judgment, not judgment as a whole.
Ah, thanks for clarifying.