Author Topic: Reverie Fort Wars  (Read 4919 times)

reverie (plural reveries): Noun.
    • A state of dreaming while awake; a loose or irregular train of thought; musing or meditation; daydream.
    • An extravagant conceit of the imagination; a vision.

(At the moment, I can only host on weekends).

Concept

Reverie Fort Wars is intended to combine elements from Fort Wars and fantasy RPG servers to create a team-oriented player-versus-player survival game. Players begin in a hostile world with nothing but their fists and their wits and must craft weapons and build a safe haven to ensure their survival. Groups of players can band together to form tribes and gain favor with religious deities which can be used to enhance their buildings or summon magical allies.

The RFW design document contains a wealth of information about current and future gameplay mechanics.

Players have compared early gameplay to Minecraft and Rust.

How to play

Menu controls
    Press your brick plant key (default: enter) with no ghost brick to open the menu. Use your ghost brick movement keys (default: IJKL on laptops, numpad 2468 on desktops) to scroll through the menu. Use your ghost brick up/down movement keys to control quantity selection in relevant menus (note: this is how you change your settings in the option menu). You can use your cancel brick key to close the menu at any time.

Getting started
    When you spawn, check which environment you're in. If you see grass or stone, you're good. If you see snow or sand, pick a direction and keep walking until you find a different environment. Avoid the edges of the world - the wastelands there are extremely dangerous.

Use your fists to gather some wood from trees and other plants. Once you have 32 wood, make some wooden crafting tools with /craft Wooden crafting tools or by selecting them in the menu under Crafting > Weapons and tools > Crafting tools > Wooden crafting tools. The crafting tools will be placed in your inventory (not your equipment) - they cannot be equipped, and are only used for crafting other items.

Gather 48 stone and 8 more Wood. Craft yourself a set of stone crafting tools, and then a stone pickaxe. Equip your new stone pickaxe with /equip stone pickaxe. Next, you'll want to start mining for surtra for your next pickaxe. Surtra is most commonly found underground in the mountains.

After surtra is calcite, then sanguite. Both of these metals can be found in abundance in the Core at the bottom of the world, if you're brave enough to face the dangerous creatures that lurk there. Otherwise, they can be found less commonly underground in the desert.

Tips
    • You can place a spawn point brick to set your spawn point.
    • Place a totem to protect your fort. Totems will make nearby bricks more durable and will cause players who damage them to take damage themselves.
    • Cloth bandages (Crafting > Medicines and potions) are very useful for recovering HP if you're hurt.
    • You can store your crystals in a chest so that you won't lose them when you die - just make sure that nobody can find your chest.

Material information

Material
    Hardness*
    Durability**
    Appearance
    Dirt05Brown or grey-brownMost everywhereN/A
    Sand05TanDesertsN/A
    Snow010WhiteTundrasN/A
    Plant matter05Usually greenMost everywhereN/A
    Wood025Light to dark brownMost everywhere1% damage reflection
    2x brick HP
    Stone135Various colors of greyMountains (ubiquitous)
    Depths (ubiquitous)
    1% damage reflection
    2x brick HP
    +1 brick hardness
    Obsidian240Black, pearl FXMountains (common)
    Depths (uncommon)
    4% damage reflection
    2x brick HP
    Surtra250Rusty, pearl FXMountains (common)
    Depths (common)
    1.5% damage reflection
    4x brick HP
    Dasnia260White, chrome FXDesert (rarely)
    Depths (rarely)
    Coming soon
    Calcite370Tan, pearl FXMountains (rare)
    Deserts (rare)
    Depths (uncommon)
    Core (common)
    Transmuted from bone
    3% damage reflection
    4x brick HP
    Stalgite380Green-grey, pearl FXMountains (rare)
    Depths (uncommon)
    Coming soon
    Nithlite380Magenta, chrome FXTransmuted from light3% damage reflection
    2x brick HP
    +1 brick hardness
    +2 HP/s brick regeneration
    Sanguite4100Blood red, pearl FXDeserts (rarely)
    Core (uncommon)
    Transmuted from blood
    3.5% damage reflection
    2x brick HP
    +1 brick hardness
    +4 HP/s brick regeneration
    Sinnite4100Pale brown, chrome FXTransmuted from light3% damage reflection
    4x brick HP
    +1 brick hardness
    Crystal5200Purple, translucent, pearl FXA gift from the Gods4% damage reflection
    4x brick HP
    +1 brick hardness
    +4 HP/s brick regeneration
    Flesh010Light red, pearl FXButchered from corpses
    Core (ubiquitous)
    2% damage reflection
    2x brick HP
    +2 HP/s brick regeneration
    Bone020WhiteButchered from corpses
    Core (common)
    Coming soon
    Cloth010VariousCrafted from plant matterN/A
    Glass120Various, pearl FXCrafted from sandN/A
    *Hardness determines what types of tools can damage the material. A tool can damage materials that have lower or equal hardness, and can also deal half damage to materials with 1 more hardness.

**Durability determines how much HP a brick has per unit volume. A 2x cube made of a material will have exactly the listed durability of its material as its max HP.

Depths = stone layer, Core = flesh layer

Recent changes

(Hydrogen -> Helium)
    • The blood elemental is now significantly weaker.
    • The bleed effect applied by the sanguimetallisynthesis wand now deals less damage over a longer period of time. In addition, this bleed effect is now also applied by the sanguite sword and dagger.
    • Colorset updated. Stalgite and dasnia metals added.
    • The amount of sanguite produced by the sanguimetallisynthesis wand's attacks has been reduced by 90%.
    • The photometallisynthesis lens' attacks no longer converts bricks to synthetic metals. The mana cost of its attack has been reduced significantly.
    • Added brick controls menu support for the party system.
    • Added mountundra biome (mountain + tundra).

(Old -> Hydrogen)
    • Totems now apply their bonuses to themselves, making them actually difficult to destroy.
    • Treasure chests have been scripted. You can place items into them to protect them. The contents of treasure chests saves across server shutdowns. A player must have full trust with you to access your chest, but any player who manages to destroy your chest will be able to steal its contents.
    • Every player in the server receives 1 crystal per minute. This is a temporary measure to add crystal to the game prior to the addition of religions.
    • When you die, you drop all items you have received in the last 60 seconds, and also drop all crystals and items made from crystals that you are carrying.
    • The overworld flesh biome has been removed.
    • All bricks below a certain depth are stone. All bricks below a much deeper depth are flesh (this is the new flesh biome, called the Core).
    • Monsters can now spawn underground.
    • Blood elementals, stygian revenants, goblins, kobolds, and several new types of exiles have been added.
    • The sanguimetallisynthesis wand's projectile now homes.
    • Prairie and swamp biomes added.
    • Tribes have been removed for now and the old party system has been reenabled. In the near future, you will be able to convert a party into a tribe by giving the party a name and selecting a religion for your tribe.
    • An option has been added to change the TipsBot into a LoreBot, or to ignore the TipsBot. This, of course, only applies to you personally.

Hosting RFW

You can download the latest release of RFW here (Helium version). In order to run it without running into any major problems, you will need to

Some tips for hosting:
    • I strongly recommend changing your environment settings to add lava at the default water height and lower the visible distance.
      • You may also want to delete the ground plane to prevent tricksters from building outside of the map in the lava.
    • Players' data are automatically saved in the config/server/RFW folder.
    • The world generator will automatically create a world the first time you start a server with Reverie Fort Wars. The world will be saved as RFW.bls in your saves folder. If you don't like the world that was created, simply delete this save and another one will be created.
      • The world is automatically saved as RFW_Backup.bls in the same folder. This file will be loaded instead of RFW.bls when the server starts if it exists.
    • To wipe all saved information and restart from scratch, delete the config/server/RFW folder as well as RFW.bls and RFW_Backup.bls in your saves folder.

Modders beware, RFW's scripts are a mess

Credits

thx 2 tigls for the pickaxe models
    thx 2 rggbnnnn for hosting
    thx 2 pecon for the dedicated server service
    thx 2 participants in bisjac's tree building contest for some tree doodads
    thx 2 gmo ferret, vonski, and magus for some doodads
    thx 2 Mr.Noßody for the photometallisynthesis lens, pyromancy wand, ossimetallisynthesis staff, and sanguimetallisynthesis wand models[/list]
    « Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 07:57:22 PM by Amade »

It's back!

Is Pecon7 still letting you use BlockNet to host?

It's back!

Is Pecon7 still letting you use BlockNet to host?
    I haven't messed with it. If it seems like I'm going to be working on this for a while I'll probably buy some more server time.

ah yes i remember this, hosting it was a pain in the ass because i had to fix a lot of the stuff from what pecon released (while still having issues), but still very fun.

The ghost limit has to be set to the maximum as well fyi when hosting. While the world will still work if this is not set higher, players can't build.

ah yes i remember this, hosting it was a pain in the ass because i had to fix a lot of the stuff from what pecon released (while still having issues), but still very fun.
    Yeah, the version that I released was not at all stable. The version that's currently available is much more stable - it's actually been used in hosting without problems.

The ghost limit has to be set to the maximum as well fyi when hosting. While the world will still work if this is not set higher, players can't build.
    Thanks for the tip. I made a note of it in the OP.

Just made a big update to the design document that brought it up to date with most of what I'm planning. I would've hosted today, but it seems that the autosave forgeted up again. Tribes should be done by next weekend.

You will be able to turn a party into a tribe by giving it a name and selecting a religion for it. The color of the party that you convert into a tribe is used as the color of the tribe. Once a tribe is formed, you cannot leave the tribe until an apocalypse wipes save data.

I will be adding religious bonuses (boons, magics, and special abilities) first, since those won't be hard to do and will add a lot to gameplay, before I add the favor system that will cause apocalypses to happen automatically. Once that's all done, reverie fort wars will be complete.

I had missing bricks when I loaded RFW.bls after it was generated.

Add-On list: http://pastebin.com/wj6hg0Wd

Can you tell me what I'm missing?

I had missing bricks when I loaded RFW.bls after it was generated.

Add-On list: http://pastebin.com/wj6hg0Wd

Can you tell me what I'm missing?
    A console.log would be more helpful since it would list which bricks are missing. I don't see any discrepancies, so I can only guess that it's the version of your brick packs that might be the problem.

I can't sadly provide a console.log due to how the dedicated server is setup. I replaced all of my brickpacks with ones I downloaded from this topic and ones from my Fort Wars folder, so they should not be outdated.

I can't sadly provide a console.log due to how the dedicated server is setup. I replaced all of my brickpacks with ones I downloaded from this topic and ones from my Fort Wars folder, so they should not be outdated.
    Looks like Brick_V15, Brick_Corners, Brick_ExtraRamps, and Brick_18Degree are needed. I'll add them to the OP shortly

Still missing a hundred or so bricks.

Still missing a hundred or so bricks.
    That's probably just the world generator not properly handling edge cases.

Is there a way to increase the spawn rate of monsters and such?