My Router* is Acting Very forgety and I Don't Know Why

Author Topic: My Router* is Acting Very forgety and I Don't Know Why  (Read 1693 times)

*I'm assuming it's the router because it's been nothing but trouble since we got it.

We got a new router because the one supplied by our ISP isn't powerful enough to cover our entire house wifi waves. This newer router is however. However, my old router was quite efficient at sending out important packets of data. I could still play video games 90% of the time and have stable, albiet slower, but still stable connections to my game servers even while everyone else in my home is streaming HD video. On the newer router though, it's a bit of a stuffshow. I'll just list the issues.

• Even with no one else using the web, I still get terrible packet loss in games.
  • With my PC set to top priority in the QoS, and even set to a DMZ (not that I think it would matter), I still suffer from terrible packet loss while alone and sharing the internet with others.
  • I used to be able to watch 1080p30 videos fine. Now I struggle to download a 480p30 video without it stuttering (while everyone else can watch Netflix just fine.)
  • Teamspeak stutters horribly when other people are using the web.
  • I sometimes can't even load the BLF or loving Google until someone elses packets manage to squeeze their way through the lines, even if my QoS is set to maximum priority.

I have the D-Link DIR-822 AC1200. I know it's a dual-band router but unfortunately I'm stuck using a wireless card that can only pick up the 2.5 GHz band. Not that I doubt it matters, because my internet service is loving garbage in terms of bandwidth at 8Mbps Down / 2Mbps Up.

I honestly have no idea why the thing isn't working. It should be fast enough, and even for my stuffty internet my old router could handle all this traffic fine until the wireless on that thing up and died.

Try turning it off and then back on.

If that doesn't work download more RAM...

Try running something like WinMTR to see where your packets are being lost at.

Sell that stuff and get a linksys.

what type of internet do you have?
cable?

Try running something like WinMTR to see where your packets are being lost at.
Okay, I'll try that.

what type of internet do you have?
cable?
DSL i'm pretty sure.

Found the problem :V
That isn't the problem. I've been able to maintain steady connections before on this connection.

get xfinity like me
in the internet speed topic I was one of the fastest (2nd or 3rd fastest internet)

get xfinity like me
in the internet speed topic I was one of the fastest (2nd or 3rd fastest internet)
wow super useful

do you have the option of exchanging the router for another?

That isn't the problem. I've been able to maintain steady connections before on this connection.

T'was a jest my brother from another mother.

I suggest just calling your ISP and request a router change, and tell them the reasons why you want a new one.

You have to discombobulate the watchamacallit

Give it's wires a good ol' rub.

wow super useful

do you have the option of exchanging the router for another?
Not really. I'm stuck with what I have for the next half year or so

im just curious if theres some way to like, force certain program packets to take priority if even possible, but going off of how simplistic and terrible the QoS handled everything, I doubt it. I've considered trying a powerline kit because I can pick one up from work for real low cheap, but if the wifi is already struggling to maintain a stable connection I wonder if itll fight with a wired one too.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 06:49:17 PM by Jubel »