Who do portal portals look different in other peoples games sometimes then mine?

Author Topic: Who do portal portals look different in other peoples games sometimes then mine?  (Read 1097 times)

This is an odd question to ask but this has been bugging me for years. Sometimes I'll find a picture, or even a video of portal 1 where the portals look like this

I know it's blurry and stuffty but I couldn't find a video and it still gives you an idea of what I'm talking about. IMO these portals look a lot better then whats in the game but the games portals look nothing like that. And this isn't the only screenshot I've seen, like I've said I've seen gameplay videos where it looks like that too. Does anyone have any idea why some videos of portal have them look like that? Is it a graphics mod because I can't find one like that, was it some pre alpha design that was only shown in dev videos? I need to know.

That's a screenshot of an earlier version of Portal

People on GameBanana have made mods that replicate the looks of various old portal designs, such as this one for example
http://gamebanana.com/skins/144746

Spiral portal with the cyan and magenta colors have got to be my favorite, it was a pain in the ass to edit but it was worth it, if only I knew where I saved them :/

That's a screenshot of an earlier version of Portal

People on GameBanana have made mods that replicate the looks of various old portal designs, such as this one for example
http://gamebanana.com/skins/144746

holy stuff, the spiral effect looks so good. i'm quite surprised they chose the actual design over that one

holy stuff, the spiral effect looks so good. i'm quite surprised they chose the actual design over that one

my guess is optimization, tbh

with how fast some of the puzzles go, and with how often you "shoot" portals, it probably takes much longer for the portal to "load" than for you to actually fall through it - a texture with a teleport effect is much easier to do than spawning a ton of particle effects into the world