How to make a glowing raycast tracer [SOLVED]

Author Topic: How to make a glowing raycast tracer [SOLVED]  (Read 1126 times)

I'm trying to make a tracer styled like this:

but as you can see the .dts doesn glow. I exported it with multiple settings, including having self-illuminating on and translucent - additive as well (2.49b dts exporter) but it still refuses to glow.

Anyone have a method to make this work? I'm willing to change the model setup if needed to get this to work.

Issue: Bushido used a TSStatic to create the tracer. Switching to StaticShape makes the glow work.

keywords: raycast gun, raycast tracer, static shape glow, tsshape glows, model not glowing
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 05:04:46 AM by Conan »

Did you try disabling shading for it in the materials section?

Stop using outdated blender, install ports exporter and set it to be self illuminating

Works perfectly fine.

I only export it in old blender. The self illumination works for items, just not this dts for some reason. The items the self illumination works on were exported in old blender after modeling and saving as legacy mesh in new blender, which I have done for this.

Although ports is great its still not perfect and 100% reliable so to make sure its not the program screwing up and just me screwing up i prefer to export in old blender

Did you try disabling shading for it in the materials section?
No, I'll try that later.

You did set it to shadeless in the exporter, right? I think there were toggles in a seperate material tab, and usually it failed to copy the settings from the actual material.

No shadeless option in tab, applying it to the material and exporting with that (and self illuminate) results in this:

update: i'm exporting the model fine - when used as an item model it does glow. It just appears to be that static shapes do not support glow.

Creating the static shape without scaling the dts does not fix the issue either. If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate them right about now...

Just use the new blender because it does work there.

I don't think these kinds of "just use XXX" comments are always helpful, but in this case I'm not sure what else there is to do. I've never run into this issue with the new version—I just tick shadeless and it works, so I don't know what else you could do. It seems like everything should be working.

...you don't understand; its exporting with the settings i have it set to. this appears to be an engine/game bug, not me doing something wrong. i don't get how "this does work there" when its not the exporting that's the issue.

its also annoyingly dismissive. You don't explain how to do it, nor link to where I could figure out how to do it. Zeblote, i'd have expected something with a little more thought coming from you :/

I don't think these kinds of "just use XXX" comments are always helpful, but in this case I'm not sure what else there is to do. I've never run into this issue with the new version—I just tick shadeless and it works, so I don't know what else you could do. It seems like everything should be working.
does glowing static shapes work for you when exported from your exporter? again, ive never seen glowing static shapes in my memory. the two models in the picture i put in my post are both the same model. I don't understand how exporting from your exporter will change the fact that the shadeless/glow property already applied to the material as proven by the item will now start working.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 04:04:56 AM by Conan »

does glowing static shapes work for you when exported from your exporter?

While they've worked just fine whenever I've used them with my exporter, I don't understand why it would help using it instead. It shouldn't be any different from what you're already doing.
Do other weapons with glowing tracers work fine for you? Does the glowing trail on my brick tool work?

While they've worked just fine whenever I've used them with my exporter, I don't understand why it would help using it instead. It shouldn't be any different from what you're already doing.
Do other weapons with glowing tracers work fine for you? Does the glowing trail on my brick tool work?
Oddly enough yes. why your exporter works and not the original one seems odd. thanks for pointing that out to me - i totally forgot your tracer glows.

sorry zeblote for not heeding your advice sooner. i was against "wasting" time on it since i couldn't see why that would work and not the original exporter.

EDIT: Looking into the code, the shortrifle static shape is a TSShape, versus port's StaticShape. That was why the glow wasn't showing up; it really doesnt have to do with exporter at all lol
https://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=288799.msg8745300#msg8745300

i guess this is what i get for basing my code off of other people's code.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 05:44:03 AM by Conan »