Author Topic: Windows 8 and 10 are flimsy pieces of stuff  (Read 1807 times)

I just spent about 5 hours or so troubleshooting why my PC was stuck in a boot loop with the very unhelpful error message 'CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED'(because there's like 50 different things that can cause this).

This is the second time this has happened within a year. The first time was that a hard drive had died(overheating issue due to this comp's case sucking ass because it puts the fan within inches of the hard drives so wires can get sucked in)and promptly became Jesus once I shelled out for a shiny new SSD and installed Windows on it, this second time killed the master boot record, and I spent time richarding around because the first error message it gave me (something about the windows config being corrupted) and the fact CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED can often be a driver error pointed me to believe that I needed to chkdsk.

That didn't do anything, so then I took off the side panel of the case to check if the hard drive fan was running, and also disconnect the other drives to check if they were interfering.

And then I had to jam several different small objects into a very small port in the CD drive because Windows cannot figure out how CD drives work if they don't have CD's in them(the port tells the drive to move the motor manually rather than do it according to how the driver it has wants it done), and put an install disk in there to do a recovery with bootrec(which decided that Windows wasn't a real thing for forget if I know) and bootsec(which was completely inconsistent with which drive(between the SSD and the 'system reserved' partition) it believed was being used(hint: the actual answer is neither, i'm running off the disc godammit) despite using the /force flag which shouldn't care if there's a drive in use to begin with.

This all happened because of a single bluescreen from a wifi dongle crashing because my router was kicked offline because god knows why.
tl;dr - windows is an unstable, whiny bitch and it's recovery options suck richard

install gentoo
Jesus christ
Arch was hard enough for me
I cant imagine Gentoo

yea windows isn't perfect but your hardware sounds like a mess and windows probably works well out of the box for most people

don't mistake me for an advocate though; as soon as i started to use w10 i switched to linux bc of privacy issues general slowness and a bunch of useless and entangling cloud bullstuff
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 10:44:14 PM by log »

I have 8, how's 10 for your guys? I need a reason to move to a less stuffty place.

I have 8, how's 10 for your guys? I need a reason to move to a less stuffty place.
Ten works perfectly fine for me, im not getting any errors at all that alot of users are complaining about

Ten has been great for me in the limited time I've spent interacting with it.

just use linux mint or ubuntu

I use windows 8.1 and have managed to tweak it so it does what i need. I still prefer windows 7 though.

just stay with 8 unless metro bothers you

Ten works perfectly fine for me, im not getting any errors at all that alot of users are complaining about
that's because they're not errors

they're entirely intentional problems

My computer kept crashing from memory leaks on win 10
I had to go back to windows 7

Idk about you guys but 10 has worked perfectly for me since it launched

Idk about you guys but 10 has worked perfectly for me since it launched