Creating a new mining mod, ideas?

Author Topic: Creating a new mining mod, ideas?  (Read 1434 times)

Any ideas on how I could make a new mining mod different from the others such RedGuy's?

• Generate caves
  • Have an actual over-world with shops in which you can buy upgrades and stuff as opposed to doing them on the run
  • Player lots which you can save and it'd load next time you join the server
  • Add more danger in depth
  • Multiple types of pickaxes also drills (drills would need fuel, which could either be bought or mined)
  • Tool durability (maybe not)
  • More usable things like bombs (items, not commands)
  • Prospecting tools (some tool that tells about the rarest mineral around you, upgrades increase range, and might even point towards a direction)
  • Other types of movement than jets, even placeables (ropes, grappling hooks, ladders)
  • Random underground finds like structures, maybe with enemies as well, and puzzles that could give free items or upgrades.
  • Oxygen simulation (could use oxygen tanks, free up more area for air to go through, or place some sort of magical terraforming tool of doom or something like that), or simply be forced back to surface to rest after taking a whiff of air.
  • Multiple layers of the over-world (as you go down and down you'd eventually find another "over-worldish" layer where you could take a break and upgrade stuff and all, however reaching this would also require you to properly fall a long distance without dying, which could require some sort of gliding tool or a lot of rope

I guess. Basically a change/mix of Super Motherload and Minecraft.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 11:20:12 AM by LeetZero »

would be neat if the climbing ropes were items, but when used turned into bricks and permanently stay where they were left. ladders could just be a sort of zone brick.

and of course, get the climbing pick

oxygen sounds interesting but players should have the ability to build vents or pipelines that must start at the surface. eg you can only place a vent if its either attached to an aerated vent, or if its on the surface.

Thanks for the ideas guys!

Should cubes stay 4x4?
Should we have drills?
Should we still have a level system based on exp, money, or exp but can also use money to level up (which is tougher)?

A rather silly idea but,
If you dig up for a long time you can eventually reach the earth outside of the mine and would reveal a small town you can buy items from. It will be prebuilt after you reach a certain velocity and the last layer would have a hit point of 1,000,000 . The items you can buy would be very expensive but very useful.

Thanks for the ideas guys!

Should cubes stay 4x4?
Should we have drills?
Should we still have a level system based on exp, money, or exp but can also use money to level up (which is tougher)?
money
that way you can either choose to upgrade your tools (eg like leveling up) or you can buy things for decoration or ease of maneuvering.

a teleporter brick may be in order.

A rather silly idea but,
If you dig up for a long time you can eventually reach the earth outside of the mine and would reveal a small town you can buy items from. It will be prebuilt after you reach a certain velocity and the last layer would have a hit point of 1,000,000 . The items you can buy would be very expensive but very useful.
leetzero suggested this - its not a silly idea; imo though you should just start there rather than treat it like some kind of heaven. he also suggested having levels like this far underground.

Should cubes stay 4x4?

Honors had 2x2 bricks, and it wasn't that bad. Made it so players couldn't just afk while mining downwards.

certain types of ores should increase your weight, but not by too much

could you make mix of 4x4 and 2x2
backdoors

could you make mix of 4x4 and 2x2
backdoors
Er, that'll make it much more complicated for the grid

Okay, looks like I'll stick with the 4x4 cubes, I think eventually I might make it have limited jets, then eventually no jets once I get more stuff in such as grapple hooks, ropes, etc

Er, that'll make it much more complicated for the grid

Okay, looks like I'll stick with the 4x4 cubes, I think eventually I might make it have limited jets, then eventually no jets once I get more stuff in such as grapple hooks, ropes, etc
you either need an autopuller rope or jets to mine up well though or else nobody will mine up

Sounds like Terraria to me

Pretty much anything said here so far, especially like the idea of structures underground. No durability though, no point in creating something just to annoy players.

What if players were able to craft their own pickaxes?

Instead of just having different pickaxe levels, why not have each pickaxe be made out of a different type of ore

While you're at it, also have a portal you can create out of a stone made from lava and water.
obvious sarcasm