Author Topic: tutorial/guide on starting and maintaining a dedicated server  (Read 1388 times)

I feel foolish asking this but I can't find a tutorial on creating and maintaining a dedicated server, I keep finding the old guides which don't work for the steam version I have.

Also when did the menu change? Before it use to be a white menu that showed the list of maps on the left, now I see nothing of that sort, not even the classic bedroom, whats up with that?

Also when did the menu change? Before it use to be a white menu that showed the list of maps on the left, now I see nothing of that sort, not even the classic bedroom, whats up with that?

Maps have been removed.

Maps have been removed.

that much I figured out, the question is why?

that much I figured out, the question is why?

Maps were holding down development of the game, there was loads of drama about it way back when.

About the dedicated server thing, I don't believe you can host a dedicated server with the Steam version - you will have to download the non-Steam version and use that instead.

You must buy an actual key, since servers only accept keys and not Steam.

That's what I do, have one for the server and the one I play on is on Steam.

Maps were holding down development of the game, there was loads of drama about it way back when.

Oh wow this is 2012, I am way behind on the news lol

And ya, I ended up taking the route of downloading it from the website and not use steam. Thanks for the help!

its possible to set up a dedi with steam and play on steam at the same time, but i don't recall who knows how to do it. you can probably find his post claiming he can do it with a short description of what he did by looking for topics regarding dedicated and steam

Trying to host dedicated servers with Steam has always been difficult because of their build-in DRM.
It is certainly possible with Blockland, but I don't find it worth the effort.

its possible to set up a dedi with steam and play on steam at the same time, but i don't recall who knows how to do it. you can probably find his post claiming he can do it with a short description of what he did by looking for topics regarding dedicated and steam

You also need -steam on the start.bat, and it doesn't have to be in the folder if you target it with a full directory, sort of like what you're doing with the dedicated.bat.

Code: (steam_appid.txt) [Select]
250340Assuming you installed BL to Steam's default directory.
32-bit
Code: (server.bat) [Select]
start "C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\Blockland\Blockland.exe" ptlaaxobimwroe -steam -dedicated64-bit
Code: (server.bat) [Select]
start "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Blockland\Blockland.exe" ptlaaxobimwroe -steam -dedicated
client.bat is the same, just remove -dedicated.

You need a steam_appid.txt with the contents 250340 inside the Blockland folder, and then need to create a client.bat and a server.bat, with the above contents depending on whether it's a 32 bit or 64 bit OS.

Its fine

Im not gonna lock it but it was WAY easier to just download the Blockland version from here instead of Steam so its cool. Case closed.