RTB - Why shut it down vs. defer leadership?

Author Topic: RTB - Why shut it down vs. defer leadership?  (Read 5069 times)

Why was it so necessary to completely obliterate RTB and all of its community-sustaining infrastructure, instead of, I don't know, deferring leadership and development to someone else? Would that really be so loving hard?

personally i like to think that ephialtes didn't want anyone else working on what he made so he just threw it out the window and didn't tell anyone where to find it
but then again its in the past and we can't do anything without being loving dr. who and time travelling to tell ephilates to not be an idiot

i can't believe that after all these years i still can't remember that drama has no edit function

but yeah, i'm pretty sure this question was already answered quite well in the original thread where ephi announced the shutdown, i just can't seem to find a link to it

but yeah, i'm pretty sure this question was already answered quite well in the original thread where ephi announced the shutdown, i just can't seem to find a link to it
Here's the original quote from Ephialtes.
Hi - We've taken the decision to stop providing the RTB dedicated hosting service beyond the 16th of February. Our hosting provider recently changed their policy on DoS attacks meaning they'll no longer be reconnecting servers after they get null-routed for DoS attacks - and the RTB service gets DDoS'd fairly regularly.

We've considered a number of options to enable us to continue providing the service including switching hosts and paying for DoS protection but the effort involved for us just isn't worth it. With the Steam release, we were hoping for access to a larger client base to enable us to provide more reliable service with the additional income. Unfortunately it's been two months and we're still having to turn away all Steam users because there's no way for them to authenticate their dedicated servers without a key. This lack of interest and co-operation from Blockland makes it too hard to justify our continued efforts to provide an excellent service under these circumstances so we've opted to refocus our attention on some other indie game communities instead. To be frank, having to deal with a completely ambivalent development team when we're providing such a high quality professional level of service to a community is insulting and not something we're interested in continuing to do.

The service will be shut down from February 16th and everyone with an active contract will be refunded via PayPal. Details on refunds will be forthcoming shortly. We strongly recommend you retrieve any files you want to keep from your servers before this date, but we will manually retrieve files for people for up to a week after the shut-off date.

We apologise for the lack of notice and our unfortunate inability to fulfil our obligations to our clients but the situation is unavoidable, we hope the generous refund goes some way to making up for this. Finally we'd like to thank all our clients that purchased service from us, we appreciate your trust in us and hope the experience was enjoyable - it's been our absolute pleasure to host Blockland's most popular servers for the past year.

Thanks.
Link to the thread.
https://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=215339.msg7286702#msg7286702

So basically, he quit because it's impossible for Steam users to have an off-site dedicated server.

So basically, he quit because it's impossible for Steam users to have an off-site dedicated server.
Among other reasons.
I don't blame him at all for leaving.

Mostly because he was fed up with slow development. He was bitching about it for weeks leading up to him leaving.

probably doesn't trust anyone else to do it justice, or to be able to do it period with hosting and all that

Nobody knows how to do stuff like Ephilates did. Had he given control to someone, RTB would have been dried out in less that i'd say... 6-4 months. It's like buying a bankrupt company.

Among other reasons.

Mostly because he was fed up with slow development. He was bitching about it for weeks leading up to him leaving.
I mean he wasn't wrong.

I don't blame him at all for leaving
but i still wish he didn't

No he ragequit because of constant idiots attacking the service. Just way too hard to maintain.

It was a few other things that got to him too, but I believe that's what made him really leave.

I just wish he handed RTB to Badspot to be fully integrated into Blockland but whatever. I'm just glad he never gave it to some handicap from here to ruin everything. The guy had some serious power over people but he was stable enough in the head to control everything, unlike 99.99% of everyone here.