Author Topic: Point Light Brightness Fix for r1984  (Read 1159 times)

Point Light Brightness Fix for r1715

Point lights became extremely bright with v21. They're unaffected with shaders off, but when they are set to "Minimum" or greater, they become extremely bright. Luckily Tammy made some shader modifications so they weren't so bright when enabled. This way you could use the default lights and people with shaders enabled or disabled wouldn't have issues.

Sadly, come a new revision update the shader files were changed around a bit and the fix broke. Tammy disappeared and Badspot still hasn't redone whatever it was that Tammy did to fix the lights and included them in an update. I'm hoping someone who knows how to modify the shaders will see this and create a new fix.

Hell, maybe there already is one. I've heard people have put out their own shaders, most notably Port's soft shadows, but that's the extent of my knowledge. Haven't really checked in here in a while. If such a fix or custom shaders with said fix already exist I'll gladly lock the topic, until then hopefully someone can do something about this. It's been three years, I'm surprised this issue still exists in the base game.

Oh, cool. I wondered why lights were so bright, didn't realize it was a bug. SOMEONE FIX IT! QUICK!

The difference with shaders is that the brightness and radius values actually make a difference. You could make your own lights and disable the default ones instead of limiting all lights.

That is true, you could make custom lights. But wouldn't that mean people with shader's disabled would see a different effect? Areas would be illuminated differently?

The great thing about Tammy's fix was that it dimmed the lights so they were just as bright to someone with shaders disabled. So whether or not you had them enabled or disabled, lights wouldn't be too bright or too dim.

That is true, you could make custom lights. But wouldn't that mean people with shader's disabled would see a different effect? Areas would be illuminated differently?
it would look the same because radius values don't make a difference without shaders

what did tammy's fix do to lights that were designed to be bright?

Not sure, the fix didn't last too long before an update changed the shader files and I never really used other lights. Maybe someone brought it up in the thread.